Interlux 2000e

Tips and posts general maintenance.
trashpad

Interlux 2000e

Post by trashpad »

A question for those who used Interlux. How much paint would required for the main hull? The paint says it has a pot life of five hours but you need to wait five hours between coats.
luigisante

Interlux 2000e

Post by luigisante »

Used Interlux once. It is very temperature sensitive. On really hot days, it can be dry to the touch in much less than 5 hours. On the other hand, If you start painting too late in the day and the temp drops at night, it can be tacky in the morning. I painted in the middle of the summer and had no problem completing 2 coats in a day. At 85-90 deg. drying time was under 4 hours.

Letting it dry completely between coats is critical to the finish. If your building up to 10 mil, schedule a few days for application.

I estimated coverage at 200-250 sq. ft. per gallon but I was roller-tipping. If you're spraying it (which I would only do with a complete respirator and full face mask - the stuff is wicked) figure closer to 175-200 sq ft per gallon.

It is touchy stuff. Looks nice when its done.

Be very careful! The fumes are potent.

Lou G.
trashpad

Interlux 2000e

Post by trashpad »

Thanks Lou,

what I am trying to figure out is how much paint to mix up for each coat. I am only going to do the main hull and think a half gallon will work for each coat.
luigisante

Interlux 2000e

Post by luigisante »

Yea ... i don't know how much area there is on a 28 so its hard to estimate. I think I measured mine and estimated the surface area to be painted.
trashpad

Interlux 2000e

Post by trashpad »

Well I got the first three coats done today. 1/2 gallon did the main hull, rudder, center board, and last half of both Amas. It looks like the T28 would need 3 gallons to do the entire boat.