Rudder alternatives for Mk11 stern extension

Tips and posts general maintenance.
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

This is an appeal to owners of T2's. I have a Mk11 called HUSH and I'm about to elongate my central hull by 2 to 3 feet. I plan to do along similar lines to that done by Rod Chisholm who is the now ex owner of a boat called Lapwing. You can see this boat, with its stern modified, on the Stern Extension thread in the older Telstar section. If you can manage to plough through this section you will see that I have three alternatives for rudders and the one I know least about is the arrangement on the new T2s. I don't think there are any over here in Britain.
I've read the T2 owners manual and I can see a couple of pictures of the new boat but I'm unsure as to how this rudder 'docks'. Do any of you have any pictures or specifications of size etc which might help me? If I go this way, it might make sense to buy and get shipped a complete rudder assembly if that is possible from Tony or Laura and in that event, those of you who have opted for the shorter tiller might like to keep hold of you old ones as I suspect I'll need a longer tiller!

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Ron

Post by Ron »

The attached photo, drawing and text should be able to help. Note that the top 1/4 or so of the assembly does the up and down "tilt" and the bottom 2/3 is the turning rudder. The rudder shaft runs thru the swing mechanism and the short tiller arm is above it. This connects to the linkage which then connects to the tiller arm shaft.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"