Rust and more rust

Tips and posts general maintenance.
philipadams

Rust and more rust

Post by philipadams »

The stainless steel and other outside fittings just about everywhere on my 3 month old Telstar are showing varying degrees of rust. Anywhere there is a screw/washer/nut there is rust (except on the rails on the cabintop and around the mast). The rust amount runs from pitting to rust colored drainage staining the white fiberglass around it. Also, the strong metal supports for the amas (the vertical and horizontal supports as well as the corresponding plates and screws/nuts) are showing pitting or worse.

Until about two weeks ago, my boat was "washed" almost every day by summer rains. I also spray it down about once every ten days.

Is this normal? How can I go about slowing down/preventing this rusting process? Is there something I can use to "seal" the stainless steel screws/washers/nuts? Is there something I can put on the metal supports and plates for the amas?

Thanks for your input...
trashpad

Rust and more rust

Post by trashpad »

The best metal polish I found is Never-Dull.
http://www.nevrdull.com
It is the only thing I used in the Navy. It quickly takes the surface rust off and leaves a protective film to slow future rust. I also picked up a SS wire wheel brush for my battery Dremel tool. I use it on the Ama plates to get the big stuff and then finish it off with the Never-Dull.
Dan

Rust and more rust

Post by Dan »

Using a stainless steel treatment to passivate the stainless steel will go a long way to helping protect it.
dcsailing1

Rust and more rust

Post by dcsailing1 »

Search "The Must For Rust" on the forum. I just wrote it up. Had the same problem and this product works well, just like the other one Dan wrote up elsewhere I guess.
Cathyalan

Rust and more rust

Post by Cathyalan »

I bought the stuff Dan recommended www.spotlessstainless.com That stuff is great. Our boat's previous owner was maintenance challenged and we spent a lot of time and elbow grease but the Spotless Stainless was great on the "hard-to-use-copper-wool-on" stainless steel fittings. BTW Chore Boy copper wool with simple chrome cleaner does wonders.
www.choreboyscrubbers.com

Alan
Cathyalan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Rust and more rust

Post by Dan »

I would highly recommend the SPOTLESS STAINLESS product. I've written a review of it on my blog as well as several of the sailing forums.