Fiberglass problems

Tips and posts general maintenance.
drsm

Fiberglass problems

Post by drsm »

Reopening an old topic – I discovery a large area (about the size of the palm of my hand) where the of the gel coat / bottom paint has flaked away from the fiberglass matting on the port side ama.
Your damage appears very similar to what I experienced (noted at the beginning of the thread). I also had the spot show up on the deck as well. I had mine repaired at the marina and had them apply a sealant to all the hulls as well over the winter. It took me six months of attempting to communicate with the factory, and they finally agreed to pay 50% of the repair bill. It was weird, they would reply to other questions, but ignore my questions about the defect and reimbursement. Finally, a dealer friend spoke with them and got the 1/2 cost deal.

I'm hoping no other issues arise this year.

Steve
Mark

Fiberglass problems

Post by Mark »

I just discovered cracks on the bottom of my starbord ama, towards the front level with the circular access hatch. When prodded a little, chunks of resin (about 1/4 inch thick) came away. The resin does not have any fiberglass matting in it unlike the picture in the original post although there is a central core of some material which is still in place. The question I have is are the amas from the two boats constructed in the same way? If so, perhaps mine has a thicker resin layer?

Presumably the damage was due to point loading although I can't remember this ever happening.

Mark
drsm

Fiberglass problems

Post by drsm »

Mark,

What number is your hull?

I breathed a sigh of relief this past Fall when I had mine hauled and the bottom power washed--nothing fell off. I'm hoping it is the end of my issue.

Steve
Ron

Fiberglass problems

Post by Ron »

Mark -

Not sure which two boats you're talking about. The ama's on all of the production 28's were all vacuum resin infused. That should make them all about equal, assuming that they sucked in the same amount of resin into each. Since they were "carefully" measuring the quantity of resin, I assume that most, if not all, of them were. The main hulls were all hand laid (with one exception), and that could have produced some variations.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"