Leaks

Tips and posts general maintenance.
gsbpel

Leaks

Post by gsbpel »

Seems to be a lot of leakage on and in this design. The area between the sole and the hull fills with water every time I fill the fresh water holding tank. I am not sure how to seal the leak. Any suggestions ?
gsbpel

Leaks

Post by gsbpel »

The fresh water tank was leaking and the cabin floor was always wet. The top of the tank was not sealed at the factory during the build process and obviously Quality Control never did exist. I have cut another inspection port in the forward half of the tank to install 5200 to the top of the tank to completely seal the top to the side walls of the tank.
I will be testing soon and see if it helps.
gsbpel

S/V Shadow Princess 369
Dan

Leaks

Post by Dan »

I wouldn't use 5200 on a potable water tank. It isn't approved for potable water systems. Use an NSF-approved silicone sealant instead. Or you could fiberglass over the area with an NSF-approved epoxy.
gsbpel

Leaks

Post by gsbpel »

Thanks for the reply Dan. I am afraid you are to late. The E-Mail I received from Tony said to seal the top of the tank with 5200. We use this water for washing and we also use a Britta filtration system for making coffee and brushing teeth. What are your thoughts with the Britta Filter System?
Thank You
Kevin

S/V Shadow Princess
Dan

Leaks

Post by Dan »

I like the Brita filter system. A couple things I would change if you are planning on using the potable water system water for coffee and such. First, add a filter to the vent line. The majority of contaminants to a fresh water system are probably due to entry via the vent line as you're drawing the tank level down. Second, I wouldn't add a Brita filter in-line unless it is just before the faucet.

However, an in-line Brita or similar filter only makes sense if you've upgraded the system to a pressure water system or have a foot pump installed for the galley faucet. The in-line Brita filters require a fair bit of pressure and will generally cause problems for the normal Whale Flipper fixture that came stock on the boat.
gsbpel

Leaks

Post by gsbpel »

Hi Dan and thanks for the feedback. I have installed a pressure sensing supply pump for the galley (40 psi and noisy). We use a pitcher style Britta filter in the head. When I complete the shower in the head I will use the pump with a foot type control valve. I haven't decided which type of water maker to use but Tony indicated he will be trying the Water Log.
Once again, thank you for the reply and all the other postings.
Kevin
S/V Shadow Princess 369
Dan

Leaks

Post by Dan »

I'd point out that the Waterlog, which is supposed to be a towed watermaker, has been the source of a lot of complaints and I've yet to find one positive review or article about it. The company that makes them has been accused of poor service and support at best. I would highly recommend going with a different watermaker, if you're really serious about getting one. A Spectra or Katadyn/Pur would be a good start.

One of the Telstar 28's had a watermaker installed, and it was last in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. I don't know the specifics of their installation, but could e-mail them if you'd like me to.
gsbpel

Leaks

Post by gsbpel »

Hello again and thanks for the information. I have not researched any water makers yet. I would appreciate any information from any source. Tony mentioned the water log so that would have been the first research project. I'll look into the units that you mentioned. Once again Thank You for the reply and the information.
Kevin
S/V Shadow Princess 369
tricruiser

Leaks

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,

I have the same problems of leaks on the amas inspection port.
They are Bomar 13 3/4 x 23 1/2 ,( I think from their size, appearance and picture on Pomanette site.)
Did you find a supplier of those gaskets? Impossible to find them here and Pomanette/Bomar in USA does not reply!

By the way form other web site I think those hatches are NOT waterthight!
Tricruiser
Mark

Leaks

Post by Mark »

I added a self sticking soft rubber gasket to the hatch base (not hatch cover), keeping the original gasket in place. Not perfect, but in very heavy weather, with water running constantly over it only a cup or two of water gets in. I think I got it from West Marine.

Mark