Leaks

Tips and posts general maintenance.
ggreen

Re: Leaks

Post by ggreen »

To all,

Does anyone have the rough opening dimensions for the rectangular ama hatch. I finally found a company that sells waterproof deck plates and hatches and I need that measurment to see if their product will work for that particular ama floor hatch. I have already purhased four of their waterproof deck plates to replace the ones currnetly on the amas. My boat is in storage and I can not gain access to open the amas to get the measurment of the rectangular hatch.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

gary g.
escape

Post by escape »

I just read a few post before by Tricruiser that: They are Bomar 13 3/4 x 23 1/2 ,( I think from their size, appearance and picture on Pomanette site.)

What is the name of the company?

Thanks
Michel
Chenoa, #377
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Thanks for the information. The name of the company is Armstron Nautical Products. I have been following the Farrier website on their new build of a production boat called the F-22 that they intend to sell both as kits and assembled boats. Farrier as you may know parted from Corsair Marine due to maufacturing differences and now Ian Farrier has set up shop in Australia to embark on his new designs. Lots of production pictures.

In any event when reading through the manufacturing process and discussing the amas they told about these waterproof deck plates they are using that are supposedly fullproof so I went to the webiste and liked the design. No matter what I have done I can not seem to prevent water in the amas and can only surmise that the current deckplates and hatch are just not waterproof so I am going to try these.

The websites are:

www.f-boat.com
www.armstrongnautical.com

gary g
ozzyjon

Post by ozzyjon »

Hi Gary,

Did you fit the Armstrong Deck plates (http://stores.armstrongnauticalstore.com/deck-plates-1/)?

Did they fit without much hassel, and more importantly, did they work?
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Sorry for the delay in answering. I had a very tough time trying to login to the site. Using Microsoft Explorer the site did not recognize or accept my username or password. I finally got to the site through Google.

In any event I did refit all the deck plates and the ama hatches with the armstrong products. I did have to widen the deck plate female part on the boat to accept the armtsrong circular hatch. I made a fixture and removed them from the boat and using a router was able to widen these hatches. I did this because the manufacturing of the original hatch and deck plate openings were just miserable. its like someone used a chain saw to make the openings instead of a hole saw or router.

For the ama hatches, I removed them from the boat. Made a template for the frame,so that the screw hole locations were correct and made a frame wider than what was there so that the square armstrong hatches would fit. The armstrong hatch is a little smaller that what was there.

I attached a picture. Let me know if you have any questions or I can send more pictures of what i did.

gary g