Telstar 28 Hull to Deck Joint

Tips and posts general maintenance.
jimgreenberg

Telstar 28 Hull to Deck Joint

Post by jimgreenberg »

I am in the process of buying a 2005 Telstar 28, but the survey indicates a possible problem with the hull to deck joint pulling apart. Either that, or it is a manufacturing defect that just needs some filler sealant. Have any other Telstar 28 owners experienced this same issue. Will try to post a couple of photos, but not sure it will work. Thanks.
Cruissser

Re: Telstar 28 Hull to Deck Joint

Post by Cruissser »

Wonder what would cause the sealant to completely disappear like that? My hull #341 is sealed tight although there are a few areas where cracks in the sealant appear, but they are never over an inch long and very hard to find.

Did the previous owner use a pressure washer and blow the old sealant out? What ever happened I bet if its resealed properly it would be better than new and probably not that expensive to do.
jimgreenberg

Post by jimgreenberg »

Thanks Cruissser. I will ask the broker to question the owner. Will also send the question to the Cheasapeake Multihull Association. It is a bit strange. Best, Jim
Bill

Post by Bill »

I found some gaps that looked something like that on mine, not sure how deep they really were, but undertook fixing them. Scraped some, pushed epoxy in with syringe and stick, in middle section installed some machine screws with nuts. For extra measure rubbed some 5200 over the edge, on top of the epoxy, which at least makes it look white and prettier (area where rub strip doesn't cover. Did pull the rub strip in some places, much easier to put back on in the sun on a warm day, heat gun would probably also work.