Stainless Roll Pins?

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Cruissser

Stainless Roll Pins?

Post by Cruissser »

On top of the hinge pins holding the amas I have cotter pins holding the pin in. I can imagine the sharp end of that cotter pin cutting into the foot of one of my grand-kids while they are romping around and trying to think of a way to correct this.

I am new to boat ownership and wondering if everyone has cotter pins? Wouldn't a stainless roll pin work just as well without the safety risk? Do they make such a thing as a stainless roll pin?

Also on another note....
I am installing a few marine batteries back in the stern berth area. I was hoping to vent these but the obvious place to vent is into the locker where the gasoline is kept. Can anyone give me some ideas on this?

It appears to me that that area actually is open to both lazarettes and even vents back into the cockpit along the sides of the boat. In other words propane leaks, gas leaks, fish smell or whatever...... the whole system can enter the cabin area easily with the wind blowing in the right direction. Anyone have problems with this? Is it something to worry about?

Randy
onremlop

Re: Stainless Roll Pins?

Post by onremlop »

On top of the hinge pins holding the amas I have cotter pins holding the pin in. I can imagine the sharp end of that cotter pin cutting into the foot of one of my grand-kids while they are romping around and trying to think of a way to correct this.

You may want to put in split ring key ring instead of a cotter pin. They are usually used for puttng your keys on a keychain so all your keys stay together when you lose them. West Marine sells them:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan- ... ecordNum=5

I’m sure there is a cheaper place for them though.

If you leave the cotter pin in, think about using sail tape to cover the cotter pins. It works - not the best solution, though.

I have my batteries underneath the nav station and I have 3 batteries under there and it works nicely. . I don’t know if I would want to have batteries back in the stern area near gas. Maybe your boat is configured differently. What hull number do you have?

I have not had any issues where I have had propane, gas or fish smell enter into the cabin and I have not had any problems with that. I can see where it could be a problem, but I have not experienced it. Just my 2¢. Anyone else?
Cruissser

Re: Stainless Roll Pins?

Post by Cruissser »

Thanks Paul, I will look into the ring idea and sail tape.

I have number 341. Its an old timer compared to 3Sum!!

The batteries are mounted inside the cabin. In an attempt to better utilize space I placed them in the stern of the rear berth on the starboard side hoping this would somewhat counter the weight of the outboard. I took a plastic tote and turned it upside down to hold the batteries so they would be somewhat sealed from the cabin. I vented the top with a tube through a drilled hole in the top of the rear berth out through the hole for the outboatd remote and attached it under the plastic part of the stern pulpit....now its away from the gas fumes and should work great as the tube constantly moves upward and the flooded batteries are pretty much sealed from the cabin. Down side is due to the height of the tote one has to pull the batteries all the way forward to service them.....and they are heavy!!

On another note I used battery cables to get power to the nav station. With all the strands they I believe they carry more current, are much more flexible, less prone to overheating, and are much easier to work with....especially when pulling the batteries forward for service. And the price is usually less as well!