Rot inside Telstar 28 amas.

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Bentrider

Rot inside Telstar 28 amas.

Post by Bentrider »

Some of the plywood stringers are rotting inside my Telstar 28 ama hulls.
The only access to the inside of these hulls is through the small center hatch, which makes replacement or repair of the damaged wood extremely difficult, if not impossible. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found an effective way to repair the damage?
Jim
wooden

Re: Rot inside Telstar 28 amas.

Post by wooden »

You may have to create another access hatch or screw on port using the smallest necessary hole to do the repair. Those of us who had to repair a leaking water tank did that, and it worked fine.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Live4sea

Post by Live4sea »

We recently purchased a 2007 Telstar 28. Sailing it the second time last weekend we noticed about 3" of water in both amas that had not been there before we launched it in the water and started keeping it in a slip at a marina. It had rained about 6" the last couple of weeks, but the amas have been folded in the slip. Does anyone have any experience with water leaking into the amas, and if so, was the problem the seals in the hatches or something more problematic? Did you have any problem with water leaks with the rotting stringers you experienced?
Ron

Post by Ron »

First check if its fresh or salt water (assuming that you're in salty water). Most of the problems have been related to the rubber seals on the 3 hatches (1 rectangle and 2 round) and/or having to re-bed the assemblies themselves. The 2007 boats had better hatches than the earlier ones.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Try the kid scream test.

Let them hide in the Ama and then pour water over the hatch.

There are also pockets of water that can get trapped below the round ports. The water can get redistributed while moving to appear under the main hatch.
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Interesting.

MY ama's pick up water too. Thanks for reminding me.
Now I have to go look at my 06 and see if I can find the plywood you are talking about. I alsodso not like my hatches. Not only do they leak a bit, I think there is a design problem that traps water so that even a heavy dew can result in a few teaspoons of trapped water that will gradually try to seap in.

So how to fix it so it is not a re-occurring problem. First, I would treat any wood with a good penetrating epoxy. Particularly any replacement wood or plywood. Even marine ply. Perhaps some high grade "treated" ply but I am not at all sure that glues will work well on the "treated " ply we find at Lowes or Home Depot.

then I would try to figure a way to seal those hatches. The round hatch can probably be sealed with plumber putty pretty well but the square hatch is another problem. I am going to try cleaning the seal thoroughly. Just a little even fine dirt can let a lot of water leak in drop by drop. then look to keeping a cover over them when I am not on the boat.
Finally, perhaps a solar vent plus a passive vent is a good idea.

Good luck. Let us know how it worked out.

Page.
foreverunstopable

Post by foreverunstopable »

Being newer to the Telstar 28 is wood used in the structural construction of the latest 2003-2009 Telstars?

I was under the impression they were wood free save for interior trim.