shower drain again 2018

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Ann

shower drain again 2018

Post by Ann »

I have a 2006 Telstar and am the second owner. The original buyer/owner sailed "Tri-ing" extensively in the Caribbean. A friend and I am working on her and have some issues to try to sort out. The first is the shower drain, which always has water in it. Is there a hose somewhere that is hidden and should be connected to it? (The head has been changed in the past to a Wilcox Crittendon but there seems to be no visible hose from it or the sink, to the shower drain.)
The bilge has a steady trickle in it, about half a bucket in three days, and we wonder if the shower drain is the culprit. hard to tell as the boat is in fresh water all the time. Can someone kindly describe the original shower-drain set up so we can try to go from there? Thanks in advance. Ann
Ron

Re: shower drain again 2018

Post by Ron »

Ann -

As far as I know, the shower drain was on Tony's "to do" list. My boat, # 759 (a 2007 boat) has the drain with a short hose going nowhere. He had modified the cabin sole to provide a raised portion at the entrance to the head, and put in the stainless drain fixture to handle it. That feature must have first appeared in one of the hulls in the 745 to 758 range. Not sure if the boats after 759 actually went past that point. I imagine that the water will wind up in the tiny bilge are if you let it go down the "drain".

You can probably duct that hose to a small pump and run it thru the sink drain, with a one way valve to prevent water from coming back in.

Ron #759
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ann

Post by Ann »

Thanks, Ron. Do you know of any reason that the metal fitting "shower drain" in the sole should remain full of water? My boat doesn't have the dam on the sole between head and cabin.

Also, on the subject of plumbing, Tri-ing has an aft water tank with no deck filler and no way of filling the centre tank and then the aft one, as the centre tank leaks copiously at the inspection hatch, which is lower than the pipe to the aft tank. We are in Guatemala, in Rio Dulce, and trying to find a valve so as at least to fill the unused aft tank from the usual fitting and then the centre tank by turning off the valve to the centre tank and then using the aft tank first. Was this water tank standard for the time? Have you heard of any other boats with this? Apparently this boat was a boat show model.

And the last question: is the galley sink hand pump supposed to be an outside pickup or tank pickup? (The previous owner installed air conditioning and the tiny observation plate for it shows bubbles when the galley sink is used, as though water is going in from the exterior, not the tank.) Thanks again.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Can't help on the water tanks. 359 has the center tank on the port side. Nothing back there. The sinks feed from the tank. Your previous owner must have make these modifications.

My "shower drain" usually has water in it. It tends to fill up when I clean the speed transducers wheel. No easy way to get it out.

Ron 359
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ann

Post by Ann »

Thanks, Ron. My efficient friend has installed a valve, when we tracked one down, and we can now use the aft tank and the central one, the usual one. Working on fixing cracks in parts for head as some parts no longer available. Shower drain also has a hose on it and it is reassuring to hear the fitting in sole is usually full of water on yours.