C-Head Composting Head

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
vancouver

C-Head Composting Head

Post by vancouver »

I am planning to replace the Marine Head in Sail Mates with a C-Head. After looking at all the systems, it makes the most sense to me. All of them have very good reviews, but I like the simplicity of the design. I am still struggling with the installation. The installation I would like involves cutting 13 inches out of the wall in front of the Toilet, just to be clear that is the wall that is to the stern of the toilet. Front and back get confused when the front of the toilet points to the stern. The wall itself is thin fiberglass and not structural, but the top sits on a rather substantial board that runs from hull to hull.

The question is where the board is then just to support people sitting on it or whether it is structural? Will I weaken the boat by removing it. What do people think?

Terry
ggreen

Re: C-Head Composting Head

Post by ggreen »

I originally installed an air head composting toilet but recently replaced it with a dry flush ( http://www.dry-flush.com/ ) which seemed to be a lot more simple and easy to use and maintain. It works just as advertised. Also their factory is in Connecticut so I had an opportunity to visit and get the real story on the product.

In any event I cut out the thin fiberglass in front of the toilet facing the stern and finished it out with teak molding. To lower the toilet I cut out a portion of the 1" thick board to lower the toilet just above the thru-hull valves. I capped and closed off the thru-hull hoses but did not remove them just in case I may want to use them again. I built a new floor (1" thick) under the original (to lower the Toilet) and epoxied it to the hull with supports on each side and in the middle. I finished out the install with teak shelves on the sides. I have sailed for a couple of years with this install and there is no compromise to the structural integrity of the boat, especially since it is so close to the bow and the board between the holding tank and toilet still remains. If I get a chance I will take some pictures as I am building out some walls to make the head a little larger and provide a privacy door instead of using the curtain and hope to install a shower. Without the need for a holding tank I will replace it with another water tank to increase capacity.

gary g
wooden

Post by wooden »

See my post and pictures under "composting Toilets" thread. I did not have to cut out any significant fiberglass for installation, and there was no structural change needed. I am very pleased with the look and function of the Natures Head.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

There is still more trim work to do, but the head is fully installed. Very happy with the fit and quality of the product.
Attachments
WP_20150830_11_26_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20150830_11_26_15_Pro.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3465 times
escape

Post by escape »

Hi Terry,

I am looking at installing the C-Head and was wondering what is you experience up to now. Do you like it? did you install a ventilation system? any advice's or comments?

Thanks
Michel
Michel
Chenoa, #377
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

I installed it in the fall so not a lot of experience. I am very happy. I did not install the ventilation and expect I won't need to. But, the summer will tell. It was a pleasure to remove the holding tank and marine head. This basically has no parts to fail.