A New Holding Tank

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Cathyalan

A New Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

If you ever need to replace your holding tank as I had to do this may be helpful.
I removed the original equipment tank...it had imploded.
On my boat, no easy task and somewhat nerve racking using a Dremel tool so close to the hull.
Not to mention getting my 180 pound body into the bow and having sufficient light and ventilation.
I have pics of this if you want to see them.

I was quite thoughtless in not documenting with pictures the installation of the new holding tank.
So the pictures you see here www.cathyalan.com/holdingtank2/index.html are post installation, but you'll get the idea.

The tank fits very, very well. The tank came from plastic-mart.com

Marine Holding Tanks are used for marine toilet holding tanks, grey and black water tanks. Marine Waste Holding Tanks are 3/8" wall, durable, long lasting holding tanks.

** 3/8" wall thickness
** FDA approved polyethylene
** Completely enclosed blank tanks
** Tank dimensions can rotate to your needs
** Fittings will be installed per your request

I found it on the pdf doc of all their odd sized tanks.
http://www.boattanks.com/wp-content/the ... atalog.pdf
Tank #B476 on page 80.

To fasten the tank to the hull I used West System epoxy with 406 adhesive filler mixed to a peanut butter paste and attached 1.5" treated wood strips to the side of
the hull. Using 2" masking tape to hold them in place. I also attached 1.5" treated wood strips to the tank using stainless steel hex bolts and nylon washers on the
inside of the tank. You will see them in the pictures. I used small L brackets to attach the tank wood strips to the hull wood strips. Again, you will see this
in the pictures. I bought a block of styrofoam and cut a triangle piece to place under the tank for support, running the full length of the tank. You will see this in the
pictures.

A mis-communication with plastic-mart resulted in extra 1.5" fitting on top of the tank. I had asked for a simple hole for a flange fitting (my sensor) and they put a
female fitting in the hole. So had to plug that and drill another flange hole for my sensor, off-center. It's in the pictures.

I have a 4" access port on top of the tank not for visual inspection of how full the tank is but for thorough cleaning at the end of our sailing season.
Our last voyage was the North Channel, Lake Huron and I used that 4" port to put a hose in while the tank was being pumped out...very nice.

I used SHIELDS RUBBER Series 101 No-Odor Super Head Hose for the head to tank. I will probably replace the Original equipment hose with 101 for the pump out next spring.

We used the new tank for 2 weeks in the North Channel in August...no problems...no odor. Two pump outs.

Original tank was 10 gallons...this new tank is 13 gallons and fits!

I am, of course, available for Q and A whenever.

Alan

www.cathyalan.com
Cathy & Alan #313