Removing Holding Tank

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Cathyalan

Removing Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

Has anybody removed the holding tank from a 2009 or newer T28?
We have a leak and the hose fittings are good so I need to take the tank out.
I read the discussion from September of 2009 with Kurt and as I look at the top of my holding tank it seem the "tabs" that he referred to are quite long, like 8 inches or so and the most forward part of the tank seems to be completely glassed in. ????
Cutting through that fiberglass makes me nervous since the hull is RIGHT THERE! I starting using a Dremel tool and it seems to work fine.
How far forward does the tank extend from it's back (stern) end? In other words, how long is the tank?
I also see multiple SS screws along either side...how do I know which of those are anchor screws and which are just for holding the top down?

I got the hoses off and yes it's a tough job.

Thanks
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Removing Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

Additionally..........
I did cut the "tabs", 2 on either side of the tank top but as I look at it I can see no way of getting that tank out of there.
Here are some pictures: www.cathyalan.com/holdingtank
If anybody has any thoughts, please share.
Thanks
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
trashpad

Removing Holding Tank

Post by trashpad »

Hello to all Telstar owners,

Alan,

I have a few photos of the tank out I will send to you. All the SS screws you see are for sealing the top of the tank and not for mounting. My tank started leaking because PCI used SS wood screws which slowly worked loose and then the mess came. After cutting the four tabs like you have done the tank came right out. I replaced all the wood screws with proper SS machine screws with washers and locktite. And shouldn't need to mention, 5200. After that I tabbed it back into place with several layers of fresh fiberglass.

If I had to do it again, I would go to a composting head. The very small holding tank worked but required lots of visits to the pump out stations.

Kurt
Cathyalan

Removing Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

I am seriously considering taking the tank out and replacing it with a poly, molded tank from boattanks.com I can also get a bigger tank.
Anchoring it would be the main challenge.

Thanks
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
drsm

Removing Holding Tank

Post by drsm »

trashpad wrote:Hello to all Telstar owners,
If I had to do it again, I would go to a composting head. The very small holding tank worked but required lots of visits to the pump out stations.

Kurt
Hey Kurt or anyone,

Do you know anybody who has used a composting head in a Telstar? I am leaning that way myself.

Steve
trashpad

Removing Holding Tank

Post by trashpad »

@ Alen,

Using a soft tank would work but the hull up forward is very thin. I remember being able to see shadows through the hull when I was working up there. I would be worried that the soft tank when full would apply side pressure. Just a thought. I also looked at a soft tank but for fresh water. I wanted to put it up in the forward starboard Ama to offset the Honda 50.

@ Steve,

I am not sure if anyone installed one. I thought I remembered reading about it but can not find it. I read online about a home built system that used 5 gallon "Mud" buckets and saw dust. Not as elegant as the $1000 systems you see at the boat shows but very compact. I also saw one that used a plastic bag that had chemicals that jelled when used. In the end the Admiral said the Telstar was already too close to camping for her comfort level and to keep it the way it was.

So now we have a 44 foot Farrier Catamaran and I have two head systems to keep up! I miss the easy days of the Telstar.

Kurt
drsm

Removing Holding Tank

Post by drsm »

Thanks for the reply Kurt. We actually use the gel powder in a bag technique, and it works pretty well, but I have to believe a composting toilet would be ideal. Nothing like being able to pretty much ignore it for the whole season! I'm going to install one in a camping trailer, so if the experience is good, I may consider trying to fit one in Buen Tiempo.

Steve
Cathyalan

Removing Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

Got the tank out...what a job, the forward 8 inches was all fiberglassed in. Thank goodness for Dremel tools or I would not have gotten it out.
The tank is shot, here are some pictures: www.cathyalan.com/holdingtank It's cracked along the bottom V for nearly the full length and a crack up the side as well. I have no idea how this could have happened unless it was vacuum pressure from a pump-out.
We spent a full day cleaning and disinfecting every hold and nook and cranny and will do it a couple more times although any spillage was confined to the front hold.

I now have to find a new tank that fits. Has anybody replaced the original tank?
I am looking at www.boattanks.com
Marine & Boat Tanks Information
3/8″ wall thickness
FDA approved polyethylene
Completely enclosed blank boat and marine tanks.

Any comments about these tanks? Obviously not "soft" tanks as has been alluded to in this thread.

Thanks for all the input.

Alan and Cathy
Cathy & Alan #313
drsm

Removing Holding Tank

Post by drsm »

Alan,

Do you think it might have been stressed when you had the little incident with the bow eye? I don't know how close they lie to one another, but just a thought.

Steve
Cathyalan

Removing Holding Tank

Post by Cathyalan »

We think it might have been done in Sister Bay, Door County this June. We hardly used the head but when we had it pumped out Cathy thought she heard a "cracking" in the bow. When we had it pumped out at Traverse City we discovered some leakage in the forward hold afterward and did not use the head after that. That pump out may have added to the problem ?? I couldn't believe it when I took it out.

But, we found one that fits and is slightly bigger, 13 gallons.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/30 ... rage-tanks

Tank #B476 on their .pdf catalog http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/30 ... rage-tanks

Measurements look really good. They put in the fittings plus a 4 inch, clear inspection port and a 1.5 inch hole for my electronic sensor. I have to figure out how to mount it but that's not a big challenge. We need it by August 10 so I have a week to install it before leaving for the North Channel August 17.
It ain't cheap...$325.00 including shipping.

Did I hear anybody say "Money Pit"? ;o)

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313