Shower?

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Jwood1

Shower?

Post by Jwood1 »

Does anyone have information on the newest design of the shower option? I'm wondering how it works. Does it use pressurized water? Is there a water heater? How is the drain water handled?
Ron

Shower?

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

They've been gradually modifying the boat for a shower, but I'm not sure if they're at the point where they've got one working. I think space for the water heater, a smallish water tank, and limited room between the hull and cabin sole (for a drain) are the major issues. Mine was probably the first boat with the drain and the ridge at the entrance to the head and they were talking about using a filled water bag hanging in the sun for the supply. It's a 28 foot long folding trimaran and nearly every cubic inch of space inside the main hull is being used.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jwood1

Shower?

Post by Jwood1 »

I crewed on a 47' catamaran with a innovative and simple shower solution. The shower was fed from a small separate tank, 5 gal I think, with an electric pump. The tank could be refilled to the desired level from the main water supply. For heat, we would heat up a tea kettle on the stove, and pour it into the tank, to mix with the cool water. I forget the exact volumes involved, but I know that one tea kettle of boiling water mixed with a few gallons in the tank provided plenty of hot water for a decent shower.

So, for the Telstar, I can imagine a small, say 3 gal, holding tank that could be attached to a releasable bracket as high up as possible, with the shower hose coming out the bottom for gravity feed. Prior to a shower, you would take the tank down, pour in a kettle of hot water from the stove, then mix in the desired amount of cool water from the holding tank. Put the tank back up in it's bracket, and you are ready to take a hot shower. This eliminates the need for a water heater and associated plumbing. All you would need is a simple tank and bracket.

What do you think? Should I forward this idea to Tony?
Dan

Shower?

Post by Dan »

Mine has the drain, as do almost all of the boats, but mine is actually connected to the head. Mine doesn't have the floor dam for the shower sump though, since that was a modification that went along with the longer centerboard IIRC.

Jerry—

Forward the idea to Tony and Will.
Ron wrote:Jerry -

They've been gradually modifying the boat for a shower, but I'm not sure if they're at the point where they've got one working. I think space for the water heater, a smallish water tank, and limited room between the hull and cabin sole (for a drain) are the major issues. Mine was probably the first boat with the drain and the ridge at the entrance to the head and they were talking about using a filled water bag hanging in the sun for the supply. It's a 28 foot long folding trimaran and nearly every cubic inch of space inside the main hull is being used.
Jwood1

Shower?

Post by Jwood1 »

Another, even simpler solution would be to use a Sun Shower bag, to which you could add hot water from the stove and cool water from the holding tank to the desired temp. If you had a simple hose connection outside the boat, above the head, connected to a shower hose and shower head with on-off valve inside the shower, all you would have to do is lay the Sun Shower bag on top of the deck, connect the hose, and you have a hot shower. For those who would prefer, they could hang the Sun Shower off the transom to shower outside. Thus, the Sun Shower bag would take up very little space, and serve as the holding tank for either an inside shower or a transom shower. No need to worry about a water heater, since you can easily make hot water on the stove. I actually think the transom shower would be the preferred way to go unless it was really cold. The inside connection would be there but probably not be used very often. You could even add a way to attach a privacy curtain on the transom.
Ron

Shower?

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

Unless he can find space for the water heater, a larger water supply tank and the sump pump, I think the shower bag is what they had in mind.

I didn't know that the shower drain was already connected to the head. Are you sure about that Dan? I didn't see another hose in the maze of tubing and valves below the head. I'll take a good look one of these days. It's got to already have (or needs?) a self priming pump somewhere in the middle to pump it above the water line, otherwise its the beginning of a disaster.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Shower?

Post by Dan »

Ron—

On my boat, the raw water intake for the head can either be set to either sea water or fresh water, and IIRC there is a diverter valve that lets me pick either the head sink or the head shower sump drain for the fresh water source. If you want, I can double check this next time I’m at the boat.
Ron

Shower?

Post by Ron »

If I remember I'll look at mine tomorrow. There's a couple of 3 way valves down there, but I never saw one which switched from the sink drain to the shower drain as the supply for the head. I clearly remember the one that switches from sea water to the sink drain. This is from memory - the head has never really been used - other than to check out the various valves.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Shower?

Post by Ron »

Dan -

Just took a look at the shower drain. There IS a hose attached to it, maybe 2 feet long, but it goes nowhere. The loose end is curved around the head drain tube. The best thing to do would probably be to install a small self priming pump fairly low, then run a hose significantly higher than the waterline and plumb it into the sink drain. It could be somewhat usefull as a bilge pump as well. I suppose that one could also attach it to the head intake with another 2 way valve but then you'd have to pump the head while you're taking a shower. A check valve would be needed in the 2nd version and I have never trusted them, especially in a shower drain system.
Ron Marcuse
gary green

Shower?

Post by gary green »

To all,

As I mentioned in a different area of this forum I am in the process of enclosing an area of the head to provide added privacy with hard walls and an entry door. I wanted to increase the area so I could provide for a shower. I pulled the existing drain an hose (I will fibergalass the opening) and will relocate it to where the threshold for the door will be because that is the natural flow of the drain water. I've included a couple of pictures to show where I am currently at in the construction. I cheated into the main salon a bit but the walls will now provide an opportunity to install some shelving or cabinets for more storage. I also intsalled doors over the cabinet openings in the head which may be slightly visible in one of these pictures. I am now working on the other wall and door.

gary g.