Composting Toilet

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Cathyalan

Composting Toilet

Post by Cathyalan »

Has anyone installed an Airhead composting toilet in a Telstar? Or any other type of composting head?
Took a close look at Strictly Sail-Chicago and am seriously considering one.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
gary green

Composting Toilet

Post by gary green »

I have installed the sirhead but have yet to use it. I did a lot of modifications so that I could get the height of the toilet at a reasonable level. I was in the process of enclosing the head to provide more privacy. Unfortunately a loss of my job has stalled all projects and I may be in a situation where I will need to sell CatNip #311 but I remain optimisitic. I have posted some pcitures.

gary g
Graham

Composting Toilet

Post by Graham »

I am also in the process of installing an air head toilet, but the winter snows have stopped all projects on the boat. I removed all of the plumbing from the boat, sealed up the holes in the hull and like Gary basically built all new stucture around the toilet. However my toilet is lower than Gary's so the top closes so you don't see the toilet. I also put a clear inspection plate in front of the urinal tank so you can see the height of the fluid. My exhaust hose goes up the side of the liner and exits to a solar fan where the pump out deck fitting used to be. I was putting the finishing touches to the head area when all this snow started.
Cathyalan

Composting Toilet

Post by Cathyalan »

You did/are doing pretty much what I anticipate doing with the venting. My boat is in storage so I was going to measure for size...if yours fits I don't have to. My concern with the Airhead was getting the liquid tank out for dumping since it has to tilt forward to remove. Was this a problem? The height - 19.25" - fits under the hinged cover of the berth floor OK? What is the trip factor with the solar fan by the old pump out? Did you use a mushroom vent? I have access to 12V, 28amp, chargeable, quite small, slow drain, medical equipment batteries for free. At .06amp draw on the Airhead vent fan, I should be able to get 7-8 days out of one so not sure if I will use a solar fan.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Composting Toilet

Post by Cathyalan »

Gary,

What is the round canister on the shelf above your toilet?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
gary green

Composting Toilet

Post by gary green »

Its a PVC tube that contains the airhead vent to the solar vent I had installed previously. It is hinged so that I can have access to the fan or vent if they need to be serviced. I'm looking to change the whole set-up. The reason why my toilet is a little higher is that I left all the thru hulls after I capped them, just in case someone wanted to go back to a marine head if I sold the boat. I reversed the liquid container to go in the back of the toilet and have a fluid monitor to let me know when it is full and needs to be emptied. I also connected a rotisserie motor (bought it on-line) to replace the crank and it is on a timer so that all one needs to do is turn the timer and the compost will automatically turn for as long as one wants. I purchased compost blocks from an on-line store after reading an article from a liveaboard couple that uses the airhead. The bocks are simple to store and easy to use. I also built cabinet cover out of teak for the two shelves in the Head area. This keeps everything out of sight.

gary g.
Graham

Composting Toilet

Post by Graham »

Alan when I removed all of the plumbing I also had to cut down the shelf that the head sat on. If memory serves me the toilet is 12 1/2 ? inches and the airhead is 19+ inches. I cut the shelf out leaving about 2" of the shelf intact for hull support. I then built a shelf lower down at the 19 inch level which is braced on each side. I also made the shelf so it will detach from the braces for cleaning-emergency purposes. The head slides back for emptying the urinal jug. I originally was going to pipe the jug overboard, but upon invetigation found that it is illegal to do so. Seems that if you pee off the boat it is ok, if you pee into a jug and then dump it it is illegal. Go figure???? My boat had a waste bladder installed in the bow which was never used so it was just a matter of disconnecting the lines, folding it up and removing it. BTW, Gary's installation is phenominal. I had seen the photos when I started my installation and it was a hard decision whether to go with the head visible like Gary's or hide it. Either way you will also probably need a foot stool for the height. In Gary's photos you can see the stool, I'm 5'8" and my feet just miss the floor when seated. Sorry I can't post photos but the boat is snowed in.
Cathyalan

Composting Toilet

Post by Cathyalan »

Thanks guys. I have some work to do this spring. Unfortunately I am having shoulder surgery in March and doubt I will have the use of my arm till mid to late April. So much to do - so little time.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
gary green

Composting Toilet

Post by gary green »

Here are some pictures of the tank monitor and the timer switch to control the rotisserie motor that turns the crank. The motor runs on D-Cell batteries so I keep a package in storage. I also included a picture showing the cabinet doors I made to cover the Head storage units.

gary g.
Cathyalan

Composting Toilet

Post by Cathyalan »

Do you still have a holding tank? I see a switch plate with Fan, Holding Tank, Accessories and a monitor display?

Quite the refit you are doing. I hope your employment situation improves so you can keep your "dream".

We sail the Great Lakes and our goal is 7-10 days with no need for marina facilities of any kind. A composting toilet helps fill that bill. Just the two of us so privacy is not an issue. We will be adding a 1.75cubic ft refer with .06 average draw and a solar panel (Pmax 25 W; Vpm 18 V; Ipm 1.4 A; Voc 22 V; Isc 1.5 A). . We have 3 deep dish batteries and 2 28amp medical slow draw batteries. We use an electric trolling motor on our Zodiac.

Where did you get your rotisserie motor and timer?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313