Grey water?

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Jwood1

Grey water?

Post by Jwood1 »

Where do the sinks and optional shower drain to in the T2? I don't see a separate grey water holding tank. Do they drain into the head holding tank, overboard, or what?
Dan

Grey water?

Post by Dan »

The galley sink drains overboard. The head sink either drains overboard or can be used to flush the head.

The shower sump drain is plumbed so that it can be used to flush the head IIRC, or can be rigged to a separate sump pump and drain overboard. It is not connected in some boats. I would not recommend plumbing the shower sump to drain into the holding tank, unless you like pumping out frequently and/or have re-plumbed the holding tank so it can be pumped overboard without a pumpout facility. :)
Ron

Grey water?

Post by Ron »

Also - the shower sump is at the bottom of the hull and it would have to be pumped up to get to any of the existing thru hulls. It's a little tight down there as well - may be hard to run a hose from it to anywhere. Are the newest boats equipped with a pump yet? I've got the drain, but it goes nowhere.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

Grey water?

Post by Jerry »

Has anyone had the sink drain run to the holding tank? I am going to be on lakes (Champlain and George) that do not allow any discharge.
Ron

Grey water?

Post by Ron »

There's a couple of 3 way valves in the head that can do almost anything but drain the sink drain directly into the holding tank. You can indirectly do it by diverting the sink drain to the toilet inlet, then pumping that into the tank.

Check the rules first - by discharge they almost always mean the discharge of the toilet, not the grey water coming from sinks. I've never seen a boat where the sinks do not drain directly to the outside. The galley sink would definitely be a problem then because there is no place to divert that to - it's too far away from the head.

If you're curious what it looks like, take a look at the schematic in the owners manual. It's available on-line as well.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

Grey water?

Post by Jerry »

thanks
Jerry

Grey water?

Post by Jerry »

I checked and it is Lake George that is the major issue.
The below is a copy from the regulation:

"Pollution Prevention
To keep Lake George water pure, dumping of sanitary waste, garbage and debris is prohibited. Boats are required to have sealed heads and holding tanks for showers and sinks. Violators will be fined and their boats removed from Lake George."

On boats I have chartered on the lake before they had a plastic jug under the galley sink and we would take it on shore to dump it whenever we had a chance. If i can not pipe that one to the holding tank I will just have to do something like that when on Lake George.

Jerry
Dan

Grey water?

Post by Dan »

Lake George will be a problem for the Galley sink, but the head sink should be fine. You may have to cable tie the diverter valve under the sink to the flush head position and you'll need to do something else for the galley sink while you’re on Lake George.