DC water pump

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Cathyalan

DC water pump

Post by Cathyalan »

Has anyone installed a DC water pump in the Telstar for the galley sink and head sink?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

DC water pump

Post by Dan »

No, but I did install a Whale Mk 3 foot pump and a new spout for the galley sink. It is very useful. Also, I added a raw water thru-hull and seacock for the existing Whale Flipper so that I could use salt water to rinse dishes with and such.
seicam

DC water pump

Post by seicam »

Dan,
I have been thinking about replacing the flipper pumps with foot pump, as the flipper is quite inconvenient if for example washing hands. If you have some pictures of your installation, please post them, I would be interested in knowing where you placed the pump.

As for installing electric pump, thought about that as well, but I think it would encourage too much water use and with a small water tank on Telstar, that's not practical. Just my 2c.

Regards,
Maciek
Dan

DC water pump

Post by Dan »

I agree about the electric pressure water system and how it encourages water waste, especially if you have crew aboard that isn't used to conserving water aboard a boat.

As for the foot pump. It is installed at the base of the cabinet, and I drilled a hole in to the companionway locker, where the hoses for the galley faucet run. This allowed me to run the hose coming from the tank to the underside of the Whale Mk 3. The output line runs from the top of the Whale Mk 3 up behind the liner and into the cabinet, as it did with the hand pump. I then drilled a new hole to accept the spigot for the Whale Mk 3.

I'll take some photos of the setup next time I'm at the boat.

Dan

seicam wrote:Dan,
I have been thinking about replacing the flipper pumps with foot pump, as the flipper is quite inconvenient if for example washing hands. If you have some pictures of your installation, please post them, I would be interested in knowing where you placed the pump.

As for installing electric pump, thought about that as well, but I think it would encourage too much water use and with a small water tank on Telstar, that's not practical. Just my 2c.

Regards,
Maciek
Cathyalan

DC water pump

Post by Cathyalan »

At the stern of the fresh water tank is the input hose and an output hose. Does the output hose feed the galley sink AND the head sink? Has anybody put a DC pump in there? We are not so much concerned about running out of "fresh water" since we sail the Great Lakes and do not use the fresh water tank for drinking water.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313