Air Head?

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Jwood1

Air Head?

Post by Jwood1 »

Has anyone considered putting an Air Head composting toilet in their Telstar? I've read a lot of positive reviews on them and it seems like a good solution for areas where pump-outs are limited.

Jerry
Ron

Air Head?

Post by Ron »

Could work, but make sure it fits in this rather smallish space - including height.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Graham

Air Head?

Post by Graham »

I took out my head and assorted equipment and am planning on going with a natureshead. I checked dimensions and it should work. However nothing is set in stone until I have it in hand and see if it works.
Dan

Air Head?

Post by Dan »

The real issue with a composting head is how you deal with the waste. IIRC, it takes quite a while for the waste to completely compost and until then it is a biohazard. If you are in an area where pumpout stations are difficult to come by but can sail out past the THREE-MILE limit, it is pretty easy to retrofit the head so that you can dump the holding tank yourself.

The simplest way to do this is to plumb the head directly into the holding tank, then install a diverter valve in the holding tank pumpout line and lead one side to the deck pumpout fitting and the other to a manual diaphragm pump and then to the seacock and through-hull that was previously used by the head.