Water tank

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Jerry

Water tank

Post by Jerry »

I just got off the phone with Tony.

The water tank is formed in place with the port side of the tank being the hull and the starboard side of the tank being the centerboard case. A front end panel, rear end panel and and tank top are then added. This is entirely different then the holding tank which is a separate tank formed in a mold then put into the boat.

Because of this there are only basically only three places the tank can leak. Both end panels or the top (and only the top when it is very full).

Basically I have two problems to deal with.

1, The leak needs to be found and repaired from the outside of the tank with either fiberglass or 5200. Tony suggested 5200 would be fine. Now that I know for sure where to look I can do this when the weather is warmer. There is also a chance that the tube to a forward faucet leaks but I do not think so. (I can see the run to the rear faucet).

2, The lack of a hole in the bottom of the first baffle needs to be fixed by adding one - either putting a hole saw or Dremel through the access hatch and cutting the hole (Maciek - this sound like the same issue you have). We also discussed (and I think I will go this route) adding a second access hatch to the water tank located after the first baffle. this can be done by removing the rest of the area under the hinged cover and drilling through the top of the tank to install another access hatch. I think I will do this just to have both sides of the baffle available when I carefully work on the hole I need to drill through it.

Jerry
Mark

Water tank

Post by Mark »

By adding an inspection hatch you of course add another potential place for water leakage. The round inspection ports can and in my experience do leak. I don't drink the tank water, there is always a fiberglass taste, 5200 is probably not food certified, and it does not take long for stuff to grow in it during the summer. For long trips I use reusable, plastic, collapsable 5 gal water containers available from Walmart for about $5. They are easily stored in the amas.
Jerry

Water tank

Post by Jerry »

Not looking for drinking water - just washing. As Ron so admirably put it "beer tastes better".

I can always seal the forward hatch I am cutting in - I just feel I want to see from both sides when I am cutting a hole that close to the hull.
Ron

Water tank

Post by Ron »

I'd be tempted to cut the hole about 1/2 inch above the hull, then use a Dremel or similar to enlarge it. You'd minimize the chance of going thru the hull, but would have more to clean up afterwards.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

Water tank

Post by Jerry »

Agreed - that is the plan and I will leave a small lip rather than cutting it to close. A Dremel is my friend - probably my most single most used tool..

On a more serious note Tony said something about a clear coating they put on the inside of the tank for potable water - I also remember Will mentioning this. Does anyone know what it is?
Jerry

Water tank

Post by Jerry »

I just wanted to finish this post with the way I chose to fix the defect I found in the water tank on my boat. The first water tank baffle did not have the opening at the bottom that it needs to allow water to drain down the tank.

While I was at it I added a leveling course of epoxy and plexiglass so I had a nice level bed for the new deck plates.

Of course I still have not solved the issue of the leak I started investigating. Maybe another day.
trashpad

Water tank

Post by trashpad »

I hate to add fuel to the fire but I see raw fiberglass in your tank. PCI should have coated the tank to make it safe for drinking. I know Reboot's tank has a coat of white "epoxy coating" in the tank.

Quote from the Owner's Manual,
"The Telstar comes equipped with a built-in 16 gallon water tank located on the port side of the centerboard case. The interior of the tank is covered with Ceram-Kote 54 acrylic paint."
seicam

Water tank

Post by seicam »

Jerry,
Have you able to figure out where the leak is? I still have the same problem - whenever I fill in the tank to full, lots of water ends up in bilge. Once the tank is about half-full the leaking stops.
I htink a few of the most recent boats have the same problem. There was someone else complaining on one of the threads. Have you got any help from Tony on this?

BTW, i do not have the problem no-hole between two parts of the tank. At least this was OK.

Regards,
Maciek
Jerry

Water tank

Post by Jerry »

I have not figured it out yet - I put it on the list for next winter and just carry enough water jugs for this season.
fjord

Re: Water tank

Post by fjord »

Just purchased a 28 and before trailering it home drained the water tank. Was quite dirty for lack of use and would like to know how to clean it and the hoses for plan to live aboard each summer. Rick