Composite Propane Tanks

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Dan

Composite Propane Tanks

Post by Dan »

One upgrade I’m making on the Pretty Gee is switching to composite propane tanks. Gene pointed out a good source for the 16 lb. composite propane tanks, which I’ve since forgotten. The tanks look like this:

The advantages are considerable for use on a boat. First, corrosion of the tank is a much smaller problem. Second, the remaining fuel level can be seen through the composite tank wall.

However, this tank is too large to fit in the stock propane tank location on the Telstar. So, I’m planning on making a new propane locker for the boat. The locker will be located on the starboard side, opposite the outboard motor sled. Since I’m planning on cruising with the Pretty Gee, I’m going to build a two-tank locker with a single regulator, and run two new hoses from it. One will run into the galley and feed the existing stove. The other will run to the Magma Newport BBQ grill I have mounted on the stern rail.

If I can dig up where I ordered the propane tanks from, I’ll post the link here, as they were about a third the price I’ve seen elsewhere.
Mangodoc

Re: Composite Propane Tanks

Post by Mangodoc »

Anybody else using these? Next month I plan to replace my entire LPG system and would like to use a non-metal tank. They’re available on Amazon and West Marine but they’re pricey, and Amazon has multiple sizes. I’m hoping to find something that will fit in the existing space since I have twin engines that preclude adding a locker where Dan described.

Also, anybody have experience and advice for replacing the hose? Mine is probably fine, but I’d rather replace it all and feel confident it won’t leak.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

I would like to replace the existing tank with a full size tank as well. I have been playing around with the idea of mounting the tank in the sled ahead of the motor Looks to me like there is just enough room there. This frees up more room in the cockpit. Please let me know if you find the tank Dan is using, I love the idea of being able to see how full it is.

Randy
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

I just ordered the 6lb aluminum tank from Worthington. I’m pretty sure it’ll fit in the cockpit locker. It’s light but pricey. I’m hoping 6lb will be enough to be able to stay on the boat for a week, using gas to cook, heat water for showers using the Zodi tank, and keep the cabin temperature tolerable during a winter trip on the Alabama Gulf Coast. I’ll update next week when I install it.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Do you know what size the original tank is?

I was contemplating putting a full size tank in the area right in front of the motor. Looks like just enough room there for a full size tank. The wiring that runs through that area may be a problem, but it looks like your boat has a second motor that could make this an easy install.
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Do you know what size the original tank is?

I was contemplating putting a full size tank in the area right in front of the motor. Looks like just enough room there for a full size tank. The wiring that runs through that area may be a problem, but it looks like your boat has a second motor that could make this an easy install.
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Having the outboard and the centerboard off-center to port already causes a list to port, especially when the amas are folded. Thus the rain water collecting on the cockpit steps and in the aft port section. The list is a minor concern, except that I have seen some different performance going upwind on port and starboard tacks. Putting more weight to port may increase these differences. Also, the outboard does get quite a lot of water over it, even when the outboard basket is lifted. How will that affect the tank, especially in salt water? I assume most new tanks are not metal, of course.

Also, performance will be reduced if you put weight aft. it pushes the stern down, causing more drag, unless you are going downwind in 20+ knots with the spinnaker and want weight aft to keep the lee bow from submarining! (pitchpoling is exciting, however!)

I never used my stove, as I mostly raced and did not want to carry the extra weight of a full tank. Maybe the small tanks that tent campers use, while more expensive overall, would be a better solution unless you are using the stove frequently.

What about flexible straps that would allow the tank to be put over the gas tank access when in port, storing it somewhere else when not in use. Of course, you would want the straps to be secure but not affect the gas tank access.
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

wingman71 wrote:Having the outboard and the centerboard off-center to port already causes a list to port, especially when the amas are folded. Thus the rain water collecting on the cockpit steps and in the aft port section. The list is a minor concern, except that I have seen some different performance going upwind on port and starboard tacks. Putting more weight to port may increase these differences. Also, the outboard does get quite a lot of water over it, even when the outboard basket is lifted. How will that affect the tank, especially in salt water? I assume most new tanks are not metal, of course.

Also, performance will be reduced if you put weight aft. it pushes the stern down, causing more drag, unless you are going downwind in 20+ knots with the spinnaker and want weight aft to keep the lee bow from submarining! (pitchpoling is exciting, however!)

I never used my stove, as I mostly raced and did not want to carry the extra weight of a full tank. Maybe the small tanks that tent campers use, while more expensive overall, would be a better solution unless you are using the stove frequently.

What about flexible straps that would allow the tank to be put over the gas tank access when in port, storing it somewhere else when not in use. Of course, you would want the straps to be secure but not affect the gas tank access.
Good point wingman! I wonder if one dare store it in the starboard ama helping balance the boat a bit more. It really isn't that much of an issue to hook it up when you need it......for us anyways I don't imagine using it every day.

I am rethinking my idea of putting it in front of the motor.....you may have a fiberglass tank, but what about the regulator? I am not up on these, but I know they do have a vent on them......does anyone know how they would hancle salt water?

Do you have any idea how much difference there is on the starboard and port tack performance?
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Well, the original tank position is under the port cockpit seat. While dry, it is not well ventilated, so if that is your concern with the starboard ama, then I would not worry. Of course, it has to be kept from sliding down the ama!

The centerboard is the main issue with performance. With a slight heel to port, the board is more vertical and deeper than with a slight heel to starboard, so starboard tack is slightly better under most conditions. However, as with most boat configurations, the helmsman's abilities and concentration are the biggest variables in performance! And next is the crew.

I try to stow most added weight to starboard, such as personal gear. The cooler goes as far forward, but behind the mast, and low as possible. Moving crew is the best solution, trying to keep the upwind ama just kissing the water so that the lee ama is not dragging its connections to the hull in the water. I like having the longer tiller as it is a gentle reminder to the crew to stay out of the cockpit unless we are tacking or jibing.

The other concern with the tank's cockpit location is that it must not foul the engine cables or even touch them, as that could cause wear.