Fire extinguisher

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
seicam

Fire extinguisher

Post by seicam »

Hello,
I am looking for some suggestions where to best mount the fire extinguisher. So far I thought the best option would be at the left-bottom side of the galley, next to the little door underneath the galley sink. If anyone has mounted the extinguisherand have a better suggestion, please let me know.

Related to that - how do you know what fasteners to use to attach things inside the cabin and where?

Regards,
Maciek
Dan

Fire extinguisher

Post by Dan »

I have five mounted. One is mounted on the compression post in the forward part of the cabin. One is mounted inside the bridgedeck that I built, by the companionway, and one is mounted outside the companionway, in the cockpit. I also have one in the port starboard cockpit locker normally, and another by the base of the centerboard trunk/water tank. Fire is the greatest fear I have on the Telstar, since it is a multihull, and would be quite difficult to sink. Three of these fire extinguishers are larger B2 types, and two are smaller B1 types.
dcsailing1

Fire extinguisher

Post by dcsailing1 »

The forward location on the compression post is where we mounted one of the B2 types also. Great location and really handy if you are forward and a fire starts aft.
One thing to keep in mind though is:
There is a possibility of hooking the full battened main sail on the handle of the extinguisher when inserting it into the cabin for winter storage when your “helpers” are pushing from the rear before you are ready. This could cause the whole d*** thing to empty into the cabin as you run for the cockpit cause you can’t breath while the sail holds the handle full on. :o
Mind you it’s only a possibility but you may want to remove this one while storing the main in the future, or mount it a bit lower, just in case.
Don’t ask me how I know. It only took all day to clean up! I guess you really should check the performance of these things once in a while.
FWIW there is enough powder in one of those little suckers to fill a couple of buckets, several vacuum cleaner filters, all your cloths, etc.
Whada mess. :(
seicam

Fire extinguisher

Post by seicam »

Wow, that's certainly good to know, since I'd definitely prefer to avoid such possibility. At least you know now what to expect from a working extinguisher.

Hope the rest of your winterization process went without any other surprises. Mine is coming up soon, too.

Regards,
Maciek