Where are your batteries (and fridge)?

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
BoarX

Where are your batteries (and fridge)?

Post by BoarX »

Hi all,

In preparation for the summer season and with the need to replace my house batteries, I am wondering where are your batteries located? Our 2009 T28 came with all the batteries installed under the folding map table, but I have read somewhere that this space was originally intended for an onboard fridge. I was pondering moving at least house batteries under the V-birth, in part because I need to increase their capacity from current 70Ah to more like 150Ah (plus solar panels) to be able to run a fridge. Also I have heavy 50Hp outboard, so moving some weight forward might improve the balance - both in the water and on the trailer. Earlier in this forum it was mentioned, that some Telstars came with factory installed fridges So I am wondering what batteries and fridge arrangements were found over the years to work well?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
ggreen

Re: Where are your batteries (and fridge)?

Post by ggreen »

Hi Alex,

I have 3 batteries aboard CatNip. Two are 8D (200 amp hour each), one is stored on the starboard side under the stern bunk area that I divided into two compartments, the other in the V-berth. The third battery is in the navigation table and is an emergency battery hooked up to its own switch. I have an Engle refrigerator. It is very energy efficient and uses only 3 amps per hour when on. I mounted the fridge by the Navigation table on a board I built and using the Engle refrigerator locking device they sell so it can not move. I have pictures but can not seem to upload them because they are too large.

gary g.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Very interesting, thanks so much Gary! Especially interested in a way you have your fridge mounted. Which Engel model is it? Could you possibly put the image on the free photo sharing site, like imgbox.com and share a link?
Thanks in advance,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

I believe the Engle is the model MT17F-U1. I tried to upload a picture but got a message saying the "Board attachment quota has been reached." If you send me a private e-mail I can send some pictures of what I have done. I'm not that computer savvy to do the other stuff.

Thanks,

gary g.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Gary,

If you send the pictures to me at luigisante@comcast.net, I would be happy to post them on my IMJUR account and repost them here. I would love to see how the refridgerator is installed. I'm considering eventially adding one on my T26, MK1 after I get it launched.

Lou G.
Hull 52
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Hi Lou,

I sent you an e-mail to answer some of your questions and added some photos. I am going down to the boat today to do some sailing and will update later with some better pictures to better show you what I did.

Regards,

gary g
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Here are Gary's pictures. Unlike me, he is sailing today. :roll:

BTW gary, that fridge looks perfect for the boat. Thanks.