Anchor light confusion

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
drsm

Anchor light confusion

Post by drsm »

I was planning on replacing my anchor light bulb with an LED from DrLED when I discovered a minor problem. Although the owner's manual states that the lights are Aqua Signal 40 Series lights and the replacement bulb is SW25 10W, they are not. I had just about placed an order for the bulb, when I decided to check the light just to make certain. The light says "Allround 20" on it and is stamped as 12V 5W.

Now it looks like I'll need to replace the entire light to get an LED. Do any of you know if the mount for the real Aqua Signal 40 All-round White Anchor Light will fit on the current mount? I would like to replace it then add the Dr. LED bulb--that looks to be the least expensive option for obtaining a USCG approved LED anchor light.

Thanks,

Steve
drsm

Anchor light confusion

Post by drsm »

In case anyone wishes to know, the replacement can be done using existing holes in the bottom of the series 40 unit, although one hole needs to be enlarged a bit with a drill. No need to drill a new hole in the metal of the masthead.
Dan

Anchor light confusion

Post by Dan »

Just be aware that the ONLY Dr. LED replacement bulb that is USCG certified is the PolarStar 40 and it is only certified for use with the AquaSignal 40 all-around white (anchor) light fixture. Despite what Dr. LED’s website, which IMHO is very misleading, NONE OF THEIR OTHER BULBS are USCG certified for any fixture at this time.
drsm

Anchor light confusion

Post by drsm »

Yes, that's why I chose that combination. Do you have any recommendation for the running lights?
Dan

Anchor light confusion

Post by Dan »

The AquaSignal Series 32 LED navigation lights are reasonably priced and USCG certified. :)