Electronics packages

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Mangodoc

Electronics packages

Post by Mangodoc »

I’d like some advice from someone who really knows what’s out there for electronics packages for a tiller steered boat. I have annoying problems with both the wind and speed sensors on my original ST60 package, but I just replaced the autohelm and it’s working well. I’d like a system that feeds all data to a single chartplotter, controls the autohelm, and preferably does all that wirelessly (although my wires are all run and seem to be OK). Having almost been overrun by a barge while night sailing before, I’d love to incorporate radar or AIS or some warning system. Although I anticipate spending a fair amount to get all that, I don’t want to break the bank if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
wooden

Re: Electronics packages

Post by wooden »

I put a raymarine tiller autopilot on my telstar and I am very happy with it. It connects through a simple NEMA 2000 wired connection, or there are some wireless options for the wind instruments. I did not go with the wireless options because some of the components require batteries that I did not want to fool with. The tiler autopilot still uses an arm that attaches to the tiller, but it is much smaller than the one that came with the boat because the electronics are positioned remotely. Putting it all together gives me a nifty backage that provides central data.

I am not with the boat right now, so sorry that I can't give you any pictures.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340