AutoPilot Remote Control

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Jerry

AutoPilot Remote Control

Post by Jerry »

Raymarine lists two possible wireless Remote Controls for the tiller pilot supplied by PCI.
They are the S100 and Smart Controller.
In looking at the specifications the only major differences I can see are the ability to recharge through the SeaTalk network for the Smart Controller vs. AAA battaries in the S100 and a Graphical Course Deviation Indicator on the Smart Controller.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these units?
I am thinking the additional money for the Smart Controller is not worth it but am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks

Jerry R
Dan

AutoPilot Remote Control

Post by Dan »

Jerry—

If you’re going to spend the money, get the Smart Controller. It is much better than the S100 and the user interface blows that on the S100 away.

Also, while the Smart Controller can be used as an autopilot remote—it can also be used as a wireless instrument repeater. IIRC, you can display depth, speed, apparent wind speed, true wind speed, etc, along with all the autopilot/GPS related information like cross track error, heading, VMG, etc, on it as well as control the autopilot. It is far more versatile, and AAA batteries are a PITA to keep on-board IMHO.

For instance, if you’re anchoring single-handed, you can see the depth of the spot the boat is in, while you’re standing on the foredeck lowering the anchor and paying out rode. That makes anchoring single handed much simpler in many ways. :)

BTW, do not use Peter Kennedy Yacht Services for any work. I would highly advise against using them for anything at all. Here is why I say this. LINK and LINK
Jerry wrote:Raymarine lists two possible wireless Remote Controls for the tiller pilot supplied by PCI.
They are the S100 and Smart Controller.
In looking at the specifications the only major differences I can see are the ability to recharge through the SeaTalk network for the Smart Controller vs. AAA battaries in the S100 and a Graphical Course Deviation Indicator on the Smart Controller.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these units?
I am thinking the additional money for the Smart Controller is not worth it but am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks

Jerry R