ST 60+ Tridata

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Jerry

ST 60+ Tridata

Post by Jerry »

I read through the string on the ST 60+ Wind but I have a different problem that I am wondering if anyone else has run into. My ST 60+ Wind works just fine giving me wind angle and wind speed (apparent only due to my problem).

The issue I have is that the Tridata (Depth/Speed/Other) is blank with no readings at all. It is on the same circuit breaker as the wind so power should not be the issue. I have also unplugged and plugged back in the Seatalk cables in the back of it and the Wind instrument.

My next try will be to trace out all the other cables to power, depth transducer and speed transducer but I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions/experience before I wasted sailing time in the summer.

Thanks
Jerry
gary green

ST 60+ Tridata

Post by gary green »

Hi Jerry,

I had a problem with my ST60 instruments where the wind was not working but the depth and speed were working fine. I traced the problem to the deck connection. Apparantly the wire that the wind was connected to the pin on the plug was compromised and broke from the pin. Could have been from the salt water finding a way into the connector since it is outside the boat.

Also when my depth was not working I found out the marina, when bottom painting my hull painted over the depth senor. It took a little time for it to wear off but when the paint came off it started to work again.

gary g.
gary green

ST 60+ Tridata

Post by gary green »

I remeber I had a hard time figuring out to unscrew the inside from the cover but the internal connection body is screwed into the cover that you see on deck. I can't remeber how exactly I undid it but you might satrt with the hex head end that the wire goes through. I lost my job (economy) so I have not been boating for the last three years and am just trying to hang on to it as long as I can for retirement or until I can get another job so the boat is under cover and I only vissi to say hello!!!

gary g.
Jerry

ST 60+ Tridata

Post by Jerry »

I have also had issues with the wind instrument due to the deck connection but that is not the issue now as the wind instrument is working fine.

What I am wondering is if anyone has resolved an issue with a completely blank screen (not reading zero - just completely blank) on the TriData (speed and depth). I did the bottom paint so I know that is not the issue and the instrument worked fine the beginning of the season so something has happened.