Electronic Equipment Questions ...

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

It looks like its time to start thinking about electronics for my Mark 1 Telstar. Here are my thoughts:

VHF - I would like to put a masthead antenna VHF at my nav station with a command mic cabled to the cockpit. Anyone have a recommendation on a VHF?

GPS. Since I would like to put Radar on the boat eventually, I would like to consider a chart plotter to be installed at the nav station with a remote display in the cockpit. Suggestions.

Depth, wind speed and direction. I also want this cluster. Recommendations? I would like to avoid putting a transducer through my hull if I can help it. Any suggestions?

I will also have a handheld radio (about as useful as shouting) and a handheld GPS as backup. While I would eventually like to add radar (for offshore passagemaking, there is no hurry for this but I want it compatable with my chart plotter).

Anything I'm missing. How about an EPIRB? I think that can wait for now. Any problems installing it later?

Lou Giansante
Dan

Post by Dan »

It looks like its time to start thinking about electronics for my Mark 1 Telstar. Here are my thoughts:

VHF - I would like to put a masthead antenna VHF at my nav station with a command mic cabled to the cockpit. Anyone have a recommendation on a VHF?
I have an Icom 504 unit, and the command Mic III in the cockpit. It's a great setup and gives you most of the functions of the unit in the cockpit. Standard Horizon's 2150 unit has an AIS receiver and a small AIS display on the base that would be a good choice, but wasn't available when I purchased the 504. It can output the AIS information to your chartplotter if the chartplotter supports AIS input.
GPS. Since I would like to put Radar on the boat eventually, I would like to consider a chart plotter to be installed at the nav station with a remote display in the cockpit. Suggestions.
I would recommend getting a Garmin 3206 unit. It is a small compact unit that can handle their 18HD radome as a later addition. It comes preloaded with the US charts. Be aware that the unit is actually a discontinued unit, and is getting scarce, but it is one of the best and least expensive choices to get chartplotter and have the option to upgrade to radar at a reasonable price. I would recommend doing a swing arm installation, as I have on the Pretty Gee. It allows the chartplotter to be viewed in the cockpit, but also to be swung into the cabin and used at the nav station. However, depending on the layout of the boat's cabin, as I'm not too familiar with the Telstar Mk 1, it might be simpler to add a second screen. If you have questions about the unit or where to get it, let me know.
Depth, wind speed and direction. I also want this cluster. Recommendations? I would like to avoid putting a transducer through my hull if I can help it. Any suggestions?
I like the TackTick gear and did a fairly novel install for the displays, which you can see here. However, any speed/depth/temp instrument is going to require a through-hull installation. If you don't want speed or temp, you can get away with a shoot-through-the-hull installation if the hull isn't cored.
I will also have a handheld radio (about as useful as shouting) and a handheld GPS as backup. While I would eventually like to add radar (for offshore passagemaking, there is no hurry for this but I want it compatable with my chart plotter).

Anything I'm missing. How about an EPIRB? I think that can wait for now. Any problems installing it later?

Lou Giansante
The only issue with adding an EPIRB is that you have to get your MMSI number from the FCC. Apply for your ship's station license and your Restricted Radio Operator's permit at the same time as you apply for the MMSI, and check the boxes for EPIRB and SSB, even if you don't currently have them, so that you are covered when you do get them.

There really isn't any installation to an EPIRB, other than mounting the bracket, since the EPIRB is a self-contained unit. Many don't even need a GPS NMEA connection, as they have an integrated GPS nowadays. I use an ACR unit aboard s/v Pretty Gee.

I hope that helps.

Dan
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Lou

I have a Standard Horizon Cp180i plotter matched up to a Standard Horizon G(something)1500 radio. The 180 is a good enough size to mount on the cockpit bulkhead as the distance from tiller to bulkhead is quite short but in retrospect I wish I had gone for the slightly bigger 300. The i bit means integrated ariel and this works absolutely fine on the only slight heeling motion of the trimaran - it has never dropped out on me. The neat thing about the integration is that the radio - which has excellent build quality,by the way - picks up and displays the lat and long from the plotter.

However, if I could only choose one system, I'd go for the Yeoman plotter. This is a great and simple method of using GPS technology allied to paper charts and I don't know if you have it over there. Do you? It can be set up to be completely independant of your ship's electronics and even battery and if you plot your progress regularly it can never fail - because you have a hard copy record.

Joe
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Thanks guys, this is great information. I don't think the chart plotter will work on a swing arm due to the location of the nav station which is across from the galley. I will look for a remote display to mount on the bulkhead. I'll look in to the VHS equipment and the different chartplotters you mention.

Do you think I'll have any problem mounting electronics on the bulkhead when the electric panel will be on the other side?

BTW Joe, what do you think of the bunkbeds? They seem to pivot very well. When I get the chance, I'll design some attachment that supports them from below and mount hooks to allow straps to be connected to the coachroof to help support the upper bunk.

For some reason, an arbitrator scheduled an arbitration for August 1st that will last all week so I am engrossed in preparation and can't get to the boat for the next tem days. It's killing me.

Lou
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hey Lou

I think your bunks look fantastic. Plenty of ideas for my makeover. Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Returning to your instrumentation questions, please see some pics I took yesterday after sailing. One is of my cockpit instrumentation layout whilst ready for sailing, a second shows it as it is when I leave the boat and the third one is a close up of the Standard Horizon chartplotter bulkhead gland fitting and the chartplotter tail.

You can see the 3 sided frame for my plasticised racing chart. Below is a plastic holder in which reside my back up hand held marine radio and GPS. Above it is a Raymarine bidata - this is a great speed and depth combo. To the right is the windspeed and direction indicator and then there is the chartplotter which I remove after each sail. I leave the exposed end of the chartplotter tail dangling in the plastic holder and, now into my third season with this arrangement, I have expierenced no connection problems or leaks from the gland when the chartplotter is removed from prying eyes.

As I said before, I wish I had gone for the slightly larger chartplotter but the two larger photos were taken by me in my normal, preferred, portside seating position and I can see eveything clearly. The only thing on the starboard bulkhead is the swinging compass.

The integrated radio, by the way, is the Standard Horizon GX1500 which i mounted on the aft end of the port parcel shelf. I can easily reach the hand set and operate it from the cockpit. Cheers
Attachments
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG (181.47 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG (138.65 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG (152.63 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Just to finish this off, here are 2 pictures of the radio - one showing its port side rear shelf location and the other close up, showing the read out of information interfaced from the chartplotter
Attachments
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG (224.95 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG (193.75 KiB) Viewed 3378 times