Anchor Light

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Cathyalan

Anchor Light

Post by Cathyalan »

Has anybody replaced the Aqua Signal Series 40 / 3506652 anchor light bulb with an LED or something more efficient?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Anchor Light

Post by Dan »

Alan-

I replaced the AQ fixture with an Orca Green Marine Tri-Anchor LED anchor/tricolor light. It has a much lower battery draw and the masthead tricolor is much more visible when sailing in heavy weather, especially when offshore in larger seas, which may obscure the deck level nav lights. However, doing this does require that you install a switch panel for your navigation lights. I use a WeatherDeck series six-position switch panel to control the navigation lights. The positions are as follows:

1) tricolor
2) anchor light
3) steaming light
4) foredeck light
5) bow bicolor
6) stern light.

This gives me four options for running lights. I can use the tricolor or the bow bicolor/stern lights when under sail. I can also use the anchor light/bow bicolor or the steaming light/stern light/bow bicolor when under power, since an all-around 360˚ white light can be used in place of the stern and steaming lights on a boat this size.

Having a mast top light is very useful when sailing in heavier seas or when offshore. I generally only use the deck level lights when in the harbor, since I'm at much closer quarters then.

BTW, you do have to add the steaming light/foredeck light yourself, since the boat does not come with one stock. The wiring is already run from the factory though, which simplifies matters. I like the AquaSignal five-pole through-deck connector, as it is fairly robust and protects the pins far better than the stock connectors do.

BTW, I DO NOT RECOMMEND using the DR. LED replacement bulbs. Most are not USCG certified for use in any fixture and their warranty support is horrible and their products not very well made from my experience. A dedicated LED specific fixture is going to be a far better option in the long run IMHO. The Aqua Signal Series 32 LED fixtures seem to be fairly decent at a reasonable price.
drsm

Anchor Light

Post by drsm »

While I hold Dan's opinion in high regard, I will tell you we replaced our anchor light with the Dr. LED Polar Star 40. The first bulb did not work, but a quick phone call resolved the issue and they sent us a second that worked just fine. I've been happy with it to date. Subjectively, it appears at least as bright as the original.

Steve
Dan

Anchor Light

Post by Dan »

That is not the experience I and several other sailors have seen with Dr. LED. Also, be aware that not all of the PolarStar 40 bulbs were USCG certified. There was a period of time between when Dr. LED re-designed the Polarstar, going from a cluster type bulb to one using a conical reflector, where the bulbs were NOT certified.

Dr. LED's website is worded to be fairly misleading, at least in the past, and made it seem that their bulbs were USCG certified, when in fact, only one or two were and only in specific fixtures. AFAIK, currently, the PolarStar 40 LED replacement bulbs are certified for use in the AQ Series 40 anchor light fixture. However, a dedicated LED fixture is going to have fewer problems with heat dissipation, water intrusion, etc., and likely last longer than a Dr. LED replacement bulb.
drsm wrote:While I hold Dan's opinion in high regard, I will tell you we replaced our anchor light with the Dr. LED Polar Star 40. The first bulb did not work, but a quick phone call resolved the issue and they sent us a second that worked just fine. I've been happy with it to date. Subjectively, it appears at least as bright as the original.

Steve