ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
dcarl

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by dcarl »

Has anyone installed a Tiller Pilot on a Telstar 28? The previous owner didn't op for one form the factory and I am going to install one. I would appreciate any comments especially if you have done an after delivery installation. Pictures of on one installed would help too.

Thanks,
David Carl
ShockWave
Pensacola
Dan

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by Dan »

The installation is fairly easy. The mounting point goes on the aft-most section of the port cockpit seat, and the connector is typically installed there as well. Next time go down to the boat, I'll get some photos for you. The cabling generally is run through the transom and along the starboard cockpit coaming. You will probably want to connect the autopilot to a GPS and possibly the ST60 instruments.

When you drill the holes for the autopilot pin on the tiller, make sure you pot the holes with epoxy, to prevent water intrusion into the wood making up the tiller.

To connect the autopilot to the instruments, so that you can use the wind instrument to sail by apparent wind angle, you'll need a SeaTalk cable and a SeaTalk connector.

Note: Garmin uses the 12 VDC ground as the signal ground for their NMEA output. If you don’t connect the autopilot’s NMEA signal ground to the 12 VDC ground, it will not be able to talk to the Garmin GPS. Also, you’ll want to make sure the Garmin’s serial port is set to the NMEA protocol and 4800, 8, N and 1. The default is normally for Garmin protocol.
dcarl

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by dcarl »

Thanks Dan , I'd appreciate a picture. I have three wires in the port Lazarette that are not connected to anything do you know what they are? I thought they might be for the autopilot, factory installed, but I don't know.

/David
Pensacola
Jerry

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by Jerry »

If you have the 20HP Honda and they are coming out from the remote engine control box and pointed toward the stern they are the connections for a remote tachometer. Mine are Black, Black w/Yellow stripe and Grey. I am about to put a tack in (as soon as my ordered 3 3/8" hole saw arrives) so I spent some time with the wiring diagram and they are pretty clearly indicated.

I am not sure how consistent PCI was in the installation but I could take a photo of how it was left on my hull 379 if you would like.
Ron

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

Think about installing the Honda tach on the starboard side instead. Same place as the factory, but the other side. The cable is long enough to reach and you can then see the tach from the usual port steering location. I wound up with the Faria made 7K analog with hour meter. Honda sells 3 brands of tachometers - this seemed to be the most bang for the buck. Forgot where I bought it from - google or use one of the shopping sites. Could have been a place called M&D Mower. They will sell any Honda Marine part for a lot less than the marine stores.
Attachments
P5230020-small.JPG
P5230020-small.JPG (43.37 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by Jerry »

Ron,
That is where I am going to put it. Based on your good suggestion from another string. Mine did not come with any wiring so I had to make up my own harness. So now I am just waiting on the hole saw - I could not even order one the right size from m local hardware store around here (3 3/8") and the Box stores did not have it either so i found a tool store on line and it is "in the mail".
Jerry
dcarl

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by dcarl »

Thanks to both Jerry and Ron.

Aprreciated the picture for the auto pilot. Not sure if I'll put in a Tack or not, would like an Hour meter, but the information is usefull.

Thanks

/David
Ron

ST1000 Tiller Pilot

Post by Ron »

The Honda-Faria tach has the hour meter. Knowing the actual rpm is usefull to gauge whether the prop is correctly pitched for the boat. The 20 hp motor is coming with the wrong pitch for this boat, unless Tony changed it after hull 359. There's a big difference between a 1,600 pound power boat that expects to get up to 20 or 25 knots and our 4,500 pound 3 hulled trimaran that will maybe do 9 knots with the 20hp. Wouldn't be surprised if the 50 hp is also wrong too.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"