Generators

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
mwolf

Generators

Post by mwolf »

My Kids got me a Honda 2000 generator for me for my boat but I would like to hall it in one of the outrigger. The only problem is I do not know if it will fit.
Does any one happen to know the size of the access hole and the depth. My boat is in storage for the winter. If I need to trade it for a smaller one I need to
do it right away.

Mike
Ron

Generators

Post by Ron »

Mike -

My boat is folded and up on the lift now - it will be fairly cool down here for the next few days (mid 60's - brrrrr!). I could probably measure the tiller access plate later today - it's the same size as the ama deck plates.

If it's the Honda EU2000 generator I don't think it will make it. According to the web site, the unit is almost 1 foot wide (20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"). Could be too tall too. The EU1000 is 17.7" x 9.4" x 15.0".
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Generators

Post by Ron »

Mike -

The opening is about 9.5 x 19 inches. Deck plate is a drop bigger to contact the gasket, but nothing wider than about 9.5 x 19 is making it thru the opening. The Honda EU2000 is too wide and too long. Probably too tall as well. The EU1000 could just squeeze in there maybe (17.7" x 9.4" x 15.0) - depending on the nominal depth of the ama hull. I can't measure that until the boat is back in the water and unfolded. Remember that it has a curve on the bottom and the generator does not. You'd probably have to glass in some plywood to support it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
vancouver

Generators

Post by vancouver »

It will definitely not fit in the Amas hatch. It is both to wide and long. Only a fraction of an inch but nevertheless to large. I tried to fit it in mine, no luck.
mwolf

Generators

Post by mwolf »

Vancouver,

Is your Honda that would not fit a 2000 or a 1000?

and thanks to everyone for the info.

Mike
vancouver

Generators

Post by vancouver »

It is a Honda 2000. I believe the 1000 will fit. But primary use was for at home and I wanted the extra power. Still thinking about where to put it on the boat when we are cruising.