Winter maintenance battery charging

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Maciek -

Until Dan (partially missing in action) gets the web site further along, I've been storing these pdf's on Google Docs. For several reasons (including the fact that our database is stored there), I'm the only one who currently has total access to it. Send me the url and I'll turn it into a pdf and post it there. As I recall you have a techincal background. If you want to help me do these kinds of things, I'd be happy to give you access to it as well.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I picked up a 5/5/5 amp three bank on-board charger from Bass Pro. Easy install and keeps them topped off. For an extra $40 I installed a remote battery display.
JEL

Re: Winter maintenance battery charging

Post by JEL »

Few questions about the telstar battery charging.

I have a 2008 Telstar with a solar panel (which i have not used yet) hard wired to the batteries. I tried charging the batteries with a battery minder battery charger and noticed that the charge controller red light illuminated and the charge controller and the battery charger were quite warm with only 1-2 hours of charging.
I did have the battery charger directly attached to the battery and the battery switch set to off on (1) and (2) batteries. The battery minder was set to 8amps.

1. Why did the charge controller light illuminate and not turn off even with the battery charger still on?
2. Do not understand why the charge controller was so hot and the battery charger was hot as well (I routinely charge my zero turn mower battery at this level (8amps) and the battery and charger do not get this hot.)
3. Do you charge the batteries with the battery selector switch to both off (this is what i normally do).
4. I would like to use a battery minder for the onboard battery charger but a xantrex truecharge 40 has worked for me in the past. Do the battery minders not work that well in a marine environment.

Jim