ST60+ Wind

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
trashpad

ST60+ Wind

Post by trashpad »

I went out for a sail today and the ST60 would not show any wind speed. It would show 00 except in True then it would show the boat speed at 180 degrees. I did see that the CAL flashed when I turned it on so I tried to do the 760 but it never flashed or beeped. I also checked the connector at the mast, looked OK.
Dan

ST60+ Wind

Post by Dan »

This is the main reason I went and replaced the ST60 gear with TackTick gear. I got tired of the ST60 wind problems. If it wasn't the calibration, it was the wiring...
Ron

ST60+ Wind

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

It is probably the wire connector at the base of the mast. I had to clean and re-solder the 5 (?) wires last year. I bought an extra connector for the time when it can no longer be fixed. The part number is in the manual. Use a generous amount of silicone to seal the two ends where the wire comes in.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

ST60+ Wind

Post by trashpad »

I have almost 3000 miles sailing with my ST60 and this is the first problem I have had. I am going out to the boat today and take some readings at the mast connector. From what I have read I should get

Red - 8 VDC steady - Power to masthead
Blue - 2 to 6 VDC - Port Directional
Green - 2 to 6 VDC - Stb Directional
Yellow - 0 to 5 VDC - Wind Speed

If the Display Head does not sense the Masthead it will display dashes, since mine only shows 00 then it might be a loose connector some where.
gary green

ST60+ Wind

Post by gary green »

I had the same problem with mine. Turns out that the some of the wires of the connector broken and I had to resolder. So far so good but I expect I will have to replace the plug when I can no longer repair or resolder the wires to the pins.

gary g
trashpad

ST60+ Wind

Post by trashpad »

I went to the boat and took the voltage readings.

Red - 7.86
Blue - 3.68
Green - 3.24
Yellow - 5.2

After that I called Raymarine and they said that it sounds like the cable and masthead are good. They said to do a reset and then recalibrate the unit by doing a few 360s. The tech said that we should do the Calibrate once a year. I will let you know.
Ron

ST60+ Wind

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

I remember the 00 wind speed display from last year. In my case I had to re-solder one of the wires inside the connector. We've got to find a better waterproof connector than the Hella plug and socket. It's supposed to be waterproof, but a number of us have had problems already. Tony also has complained about it.
Ron Marcuse
trashpad

ST60+ Wind

Post by trashpad »

I did what the tech said today with no luck. I have them on the phone now to go to the next step. I think it will be the connector but I will have to wait for a dry day to take it apart. I did rebed the base of the connector and then wrap the whole unit with waterproof tape last time I had the mast down. I think a small plastic box over all three connectors might help. It would also be helpful if there was an access panel inside on the overhead.
trashpad

ST60+ Wind

Post by trashpad »

They are talking about returning the unit for repair now.
Ron

ST60+ Wind

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

I had the same 00 wind speed display with direction showing, and a wind speed that mimicked boat speed when moving. It was an erratic conncection of one of the wires inside the connector caused by corrosion. It may look OK, but it isn't.
Ron Marcuse