Lightning protection

Posts regarding the electrical systems and electronics on a Telstar.
Bill

Lightning protection

Post by Bill »

What have folks done about lightning protection on a Telstar? Any reports of actual strikes with damage averted? I know of a couple (monohulls) hit, including my father's ketch.
Bill

Re: Lightning protection

Post by Bill »

I have recently mounted an aluminum tab on the back of the mast, low, using homemade T bolts made from 1/4" ss screws (do avoid having to drill and tap holes while on the mooring). This has a 3/8" screw with wingnut to one side, #4 wire attaches with crimped on connector. Other end of wire attaches to 5' of 3/4" copper pipe, slit and folded open for most of it's length (I've read that electricity discharges more readily from sharp edges), hangs over the side just in front of the trampoline (port ama is left extended while on mooring. I remove the rig when sailing in good weather. The end seems to be in the mud at low tide, I don't think this is too much of a problem. (Hoping they will actually dredge this fall, as promised. I have the long centerboard which hits and kicks up at low tide if I am not careful).
Ron

Post by Ron »

"I have the long centerboard which hits and kicks up at low tide if I am not careful"

You do NOT have to lower the board all of the way. I have the longer board also, and sail in an area which has numerous areas of 5 feet or less. My board is usually cranked down about 3/4 of the way, drawing maybe 4 1/2 feet. It's about 3/4 of a crank turn from the end of travel. It does not seem to have any real effect on pointing ability.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Bill

Post by Bill »

Indeed, that is the way I often have to sail, with the board not fully down. Does tend to increase lee helm, however.