Buoyancy tank leak

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
andrewm

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by andrewm »

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a small leak into the starboard buoyancy tank, probably coming from the rudder locker. It mainly happens when sailing in rougher weather and with a couple of additional people on board, presumably when the stern is lower in the water and more water is getting into the rudder locker. Sometimes, a few hours sailing can leave 1/2" to 1" of water in the tank, although most days is stays dry.
I have inspected every inch of the rudder locker I can reach, and painted over every surface I can get to with an epoxy paint, but the leak is still there.
For those that may not have not looked - it's worth looking in that inspection hatch at the aft storage area. It sure gave me a surprise when I first looked in there and found 6" of water on both sides.

Andrewm #365
Dan

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Dan »

Yes, I have the same problem with my port side tank. The starboard one seems to be fine.
drsm

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by drsm »

How did you drain it?
Dan

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Dan »

I used a portable electric bilge pump to drain the tank. The bilge pump is a small diaphragm based bilge pump that is self-priming and is mounted, along with a raw water strainer, on a piece of starboard with two long hoses. I set this up for use as a utility bilge/washdown pump.
Jerry

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Jerry »

going to seem like a dumb question but where are you talking about and how do I check them?
Also are there other locations like this I should be checking (other then the obvious three on each outrigger and the bilge).
I must have missed this in the manual and training.
Dan

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Dan »

In the area under the cockpit, there will be two deckplates, about 6" in diameter. These are the two aft buoyancy tanks, and need to be checked to see that they're dry and empty of water. I would also recommend removing the carpeting, if you have it in this area and re-bedding the inspection deck plates so that they're water tight.
Jerry wrote:going to seem like a dumb question but where are you talking about and how do I check them?
Also are there other locations like this I should be checking (other then the obvious three on each outrigger and the bilge).
I must have missed this in the manual and training.
Ron

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Ron »

But Jerry, you have to do this from inside the boat, because they are under the carpeting (if you have any there) and cushion of the aft "bunk". Mine have always been dry.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Jerry

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by Jerry »

Thanks,
I will look on Saturday before I go out for my first single handed sail.
Jerry
drsm

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by drsm »

To my knowledge, this is not covered in the manual nor during the training--thanks again for this forum!
trashpad

Buoyancy tank leak

Post by trashpad »

Put me on the lucky list as both are dry on "Reboot". I even had a very full boat a few weeks ago and had to move a few up forward when I noticed the water level was over the first step.