Rudder Hangs Up in Heavy Wind

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Tri’d n Sail’d

Rudder Hangs Up in Heavy Wind

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

I have a problem steering in winds over 15 knots. My rudder mechanism seems to be getting caught on something and I have to use significant force to "break" past the hang up. I have been unable so far as to determine what is happening or the cause. Has anyone had similar experience, figured it out, and fixed it? Thanks!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Tri’d n Sail’d

Re: Rudder Hangs Up in Heavy Wind

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Just in case someone finds this thread interesting... The issue was related to the position of the motor (Honda 50). When the engine well is all the way down, and the motor is tilted all the way up and then canted with the top of the motor and prop to port, it changes the linkage position to a point that it gets stuck while moving rudder in either direction. The rudder works just fine when the motor is canted with the motor-well raised and also work fine when the motor is not canted with the well all the way down.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm assuming that you have pulled the pin that connects the tiller shaft to the 2nd shaft that moves the motor. With that done, the motor is completely separated from anything happening with the rudder.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Good point Ron, and yes, that was also done. For whatever reason the motor at an angle shifts the entire rudder mechanism and causes a friction point. Once either the motor well is lifted or the motor is straightened... no problems, smooth as silk.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Restored posts below...

Postby BoarX » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:57 pm

My steering mechanism is also far from being in top shape, but my problem is too much effort required to either lift or lower the rudder. One link resonates with buzzing sound at certain engine rpms. It is clearly due to overhaul/lubrication, but I am struggling to figure out how to disassemble the whole thing. I find it hard to believe this is not possible - it had to be installed somehow and I doubt it was done in some irreversible way. We know now how to remove the centerboard, was anyone successful in disassembly of the steering mechanism?
Thanks,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
BoarX

Postby Ron » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:31 am

"but my problem is too much effort required to either lift or lower the rudder"

Could be too much friction in the dry lines. You can lubricate both (up and down) with something like Sailkote. Spraying water on them will also help for a few days.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #59 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Postby BoarX » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks Ron, that might be a part of the problem, but I still would like to disassemble and overhaul the whole mechanism. Anyone done that?
Thanks,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
BoarX

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:16 am

I tore one of the lines years ago. Replaced both with Dyneema cord - almost impossible to tear, more slippery, UV and moisture resistant, etc. But I still lubricate them, or at least wet them down. They probably won't tear, but their strength could break something else if forced. There are several pulleys involved. I think that there is a schematic somewhere in the boat documentation.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #59 "Tri-Power"
Ron

West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)