Replacing the Up Rudder Line

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Tri’d n Sail’d

Replacing the Up Rudder Line

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

I have replaced the down rudder line a few times already. Up rudder line is frayed and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have recommendations for this job…rudder location, line feed process, etc??? TIA.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
ggreen

Re: Replacing the Up Rudder Line

Post by ggreen »

I have replaced both lines with a much stronger yet narrower lines. I did this because, when the rudder came up the existing line got jammed between the the rudder yoke and the boat and it was practically impossible to unjam. When I replaced the lines I attached a sender line to the end of each one and pulled them through because it is extremely difficult to get to the blocks that the lines go through. After replacing and testing the lines I left the sender lines attached to the stern pulpit posts and inside the boat so if I ever had to replace them again it becomes an easy procedure. Look at the manual to get an idea how the lines are arranged.

gary g
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thanks Gary. When replacing the "Up" line which looks like it is threaded through the body of the rudder assembly - how hard was it to get the old line out and the new line in? What position did you put the rudder in? Thanks again.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

I believe I put the rudder up. The boat was on land so I blocked the rudder in the up position and used a pump jack to get it as high as it will go so I would have access to the line that goes through the top of the rudder and ties off there. Since the existing line was larger than the one I replaced it with, I had to sort of massage it to get the knot away from the rudder so that I could cut it off and remove the line. Once off it was not hard to rethread the line through the rudder and knot it off.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

gary g
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Sure does...thanks!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

How much line did you need to replace the rudder lines? Do you recall what diameter it was? I am thinking it's time to replace mine and I am looking at using dyneema. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Paul
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

I bought a lot of line and wrapped the excess just in case if it ever broke I would have extra to redo the line. I believe I also used dynema and went a size smaller then what was originally used on the rudder. I did this, because, if the rudder hits bottom and goes up the line gets trapped between the yoke and the boat and its almost impossible to pull it out. When the rudder bottoms out the lines are loose and go where you don't want them to!!!

gary g