Centreboard line off at end with screws

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Ann

Centreboard line off at end with screws

Post by Ann »

Ron wrote that there is a video somewhere on removing a centreboard, but does anyone have experience fixing the line back onto the drum that is visible in the observation area inside on the trunk? It is hard to tell if the line merely came unscrewed as both screws are still in the line, or if more major things are happening out of sight. I am in a boatyard in Guatemala and it is a cinch that no one here will have any experience with this and I do not speak more than a few words of Spanish. Tried to upload pics but was told each is too large. When I pull gently on one part of the line I can feel the centreboard rising slightly. I am afraid to pull the line off. Locating the spot to re screw the existing screws would be great, have not seen anything on the drum yet that looks as if they came out. Am I looking at the uppermost of two drums? Any help with this would be most appreciated.
Ann

Re: Centreboard line off at end with screws

Post by Ann »

I just looked for the old Tony Smith centreboard video on YouTube but could not find it. Must walk back to boatyard now as a bit risky after dark as a woman walking alone In Guatemala.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Ann, sorry for your trouble, here is what I found, maybe it can help?

https://vimeo.com/4875979

Good luck!
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Does anyone know how to download Vimeo videos? We need to save this centerboard clip (not to mention Tony's hands doing the job!) as there is no telling for how long will it be on Vimeo. Now I at least understand the inner workings of the mechanism!

Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Ann

Post by Ann »

Thanks for the link to the video, Alex. I watched it and will watch it again. Unfortunately I did not see much on rewinding the line on the drum, but may see it when I watch again. My centreboard trunk is a bit different and I do not see any pins holding the drum in, but something like that must hold it in. Must recharge the battery on the laptop somewhere before I can see the video again. Noisy here in the boatyard.
Ann

Post by Ann »

From watching the video it looks as if I will have to drop the centreboard, that the line was possibly screwed to it and somehow came off and the screws are now on top of the drum where I can see them. Every time Origami is left at a marina something happens to her. Thanks to Alex for the link, it has helped a great deal. Will watch it a few more times. I do not know how to permanently save a video form Vimeo. It seems they would like money each month for more access. Anyone who can help with this saving for the group?
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Since the video was produced by Will and Tony of Performance Cruising, the company that manufactured the Telstar, they must have the video in one of their files. You might want to contact the company at (410) 626-2720. I believe their address is Performance Cruising Inc. 7353 Edgewood Road Annapolis Maryland 21403, or least that is where I bought my boat.

gary g.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Hi all,

I was able to record the centerboard installation video off Vimeo and saved it to Google drive. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MaeXY5 ... sp=sharing

Cheers,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Speaking of centerboards, I have discovered that my lifting mechanism works exactly in the opposite way as depicted in the video and described in the owner's manual - lifting is counterclockwise, lowering is clockwise. The only possible explanation I have is that the lifting line is wound onto the drum in the "wrong" direction. What is puzzling, is there are no visible traces of any manipulations on the centerboard trunk where the drum is, but looking at the video it is almost certain that if someone did replace the centerboard, it should be noticeable. Factory mistake? Does anyone have the same configuration?

Cheers,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Ann, the screws that you are referring to, I am pretty sure, are at the bottom of the rounded portion of the centerboard. I broke and repaired my centerboard last year and it was a big job jacking the boat up high enough to remove the board and then making the repairs. The video was a big help and I watched it many times.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN