Centerboard Drum Broken - Advice Please

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Tri’d n Sail’d

Centerboard Drum Broken - Advice Please

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Ron, if you see this... I also sent you a PM...

After losing my rudder line and subsequent control during a heavy wind race, we were blown into the shallows and my centerboard suffered a breakage. The plastic drum at the top appears to be broken and rope that goes down the forward groove is pulled out (including the knot). I have pics, but unable to load here.

I am hoping the forward rope with knot is not a really bad sign. I am hoping there is a fix from topside. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Re: Centerboard Drum Broken - Advice Please

Post by Ron »

There's a video floating around the internet showing how to replace the board. Tony Smith did it about 8 years ago. If you can't find it, let e know. I probably saved a copy somewhere. It's not an easy job. You've got to remove the old pivot bolt.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thanks Ron. Did you get my PM?
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

With the PVC drum being broken, any idea where I can find a replacement? Can the centerboard be replaced while on the trailer? Any advice, please feel free to call or text at 812-296-2323 or email at jparsch@comcast.net. TIA...
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
wooden

Post by wooden »

Jim,

I posted my experience replacing my centerboard while the boat was on the trailer. The full post with details is in one of the "centerboard" sections of this forum. The bottom line is that it is possible. In order to do it, I had to remove the axle that is just below the centerboard, then jack up the trailer and place it on blocks high enough to allow the centerboard to drop out. Once I had the trailer configured, it was relatively easy to replace the board and drum. You will also find in my other post the name of the company that made my centerboard. They did an outstanding job.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thanks for your response Steve. I ended up taking her our of the water onto my trailer and then using screw jacks with 6 X 6 boards to jack her up high enough to swing and remove the centerboard. I found the video that Ron mentioned and it was very helpful. The top of my board where the groove is was split and destroyed. I sawed out the bad wood and filled it with Loctite marine epoxy and did the same elsewhere on the board. A friend of mine used the white material used for trim and sandwiched it and cut it out to make a new roller that worked very well. Tough project but learned a lot.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
wooden

Post by wooden »

I am glad you were able to get it fixes. I am just like you. I always learn a great deal when I fix something. I love this boat.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340