Do you ever lift the engine bracket?

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
BoarX

Do you ever lift the engine bracket?

Post by BoarX »

As a new Telstar 28 owner while preparing for the season I have come across a recommendation in the manual to lift an engine bracket in addition to using the automatic engine lift. I presume here is the block and tackle one uses to lift the bracket:

https://img.frl/0oypr (how the hell do you make an image appear here???)

Problem is two-fold:

* my 50HP Honda engine currently doesn't have much space to move up (will swap it to something lighter at the first opportunity)
* no matter how hard I try I am unable to even start pulling the bracket up

Question: do you ever bother to do that? is there maybe some sort of lock I am too blind to see?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Bill

Re: Do you ever lift the engine bracket?

Post by Bill »

My boat had the 50hp when I bought it, the previous owner said he didn't try to raise it. I put on a Suzuki 20hp, saving about 115 lbs (I like it). If seas are above 2-3 feet or so, especially on starboard tack, the wave slap the bottom of the engine mount sled hard enough that I do raise it up. From the factory there is no lock, everything is exposed, so you should be able to see if something was added. The 50 weighs about 235 lbs, if I remember correctly, heavy to lift, I saw one that had bent the stainless tubing the upper block is attached to, though I think he maybe backed into something. Maybe try a 6 part pull.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Thanks so much (for the second time today)! Good to know, I feel better and not so weak now :)
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

I do raise the engine pod as well as use the power tilt on the motor. However, my boat did not come with the block and tackle to raise the engine pod, so I installed a 12V Linear Actuator: 130 lb with 10” travel. The video can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/WtCcpg7ouY0

The video also shows how I replaced the outboard steering arm with a linear actuator.
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York