Honda 50

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
seicam

Honda 50

Post by seicam »

HI Everyone,
Could people that purchased the boat with Honda 50 engine tell me if you're happy with that choice? Are you utilizing the increased mototing speed? Is hte speed enough to tow some toys behind the boat for kids? Any potential issues with this motor, other than extra weight and no pull start?

Thanks,
Maciek
gary green

Honda 50

Post by gary green »

I purchased my Telstar with the Honda 50. I tend to overdue things on my boat. It has an automatic start and a pull chord in case of an emergency. I have not towed anything but am confident it can handle most any situation as the boat is quite light. It does add weight and I have offset that by putting one of my big batteries on the other side. I aslo raised the waterline on my entire boat because the ama, when retracted tends to go down and you can get fowling due to the extra weight.

There has been a lot of discussion about the engine options and props on the original owners site that should be available for you to review when it is migrated over to this site.

gary g.
Ron

Honda 50

Post by Ron »

A lot of the boats (maybe 1/3 ?) have the 50 hp Honda and most seem to be happy with it, although some of the owners were complaining about not being able to get up to the advertised 15 to 16 knots under power. I don't think anyone with the 50 has played around with their props yet and that could be one of the reasons why. There are known better solutions to the stock 20 hp prop which won't get anywhere near redline. New prop is a Solas 10x7 4 blade, vs the 9 1/4 x 10 4 blade Honda.

I was concerned about the extra weight back there (230 pounds vs 120), not being able to start it with the cord if necessary, having to remove it from the boat (in water or on trailer) if I ever had to get it serviced, and the increased fuel usage (with the stock 3 gallon or optional 6 gallon tank). The extra 100+ pounds way back there could make towing a little trickier as well - you're see-sawing nearly that much weight off of the trailer hitch, and it's too light already.

I'm very happy with my choice of the 20 hp motor, but take into account that I motor ONLY when I have to - which means about 15 minutes in mostly protected water from my dock to the harbor and then back again later. Can't really go over 6 knots in the canal anyway. I put the $5,000 extra cost of the bigger motor into the sails instead. It is a sailboat, right?

You'll be in the Pacific NW and if you have to motor in any real current for any period of time you might want to spring for the extra horses.
Last edited by Ron on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"