Free play in steering

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Doncs

Free play in steering

Post by Doncs »

There is some play between the tiller and the rudder and engine (when linked) so moving the tiller does not effect the rudder or the engine not first... Is there a way to tighten the steering linkage?
Ron

Re: Free play in steering

Post by Ron »

There is some normal play but it shouldn't be that much. Go thru all of the fittings and make sure that everything is tight, and that the rudder and tiller are both aligned correctly - tiller should point straight ahead when rudder is pointing straight back. You can adjust the linkage to get the last thing right.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

Hi Ron, thanks again. Is there a drawing of the linkage anywhere? I have not adjusted it before and it might be a help...
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

Ok I've been looking at the linkage; Not too complex. There is play in the the conection between the verticle tiller shaft and the ring that links to the engine. Does any one know if that conection is a key way or a pin? Might that have been damaged in backing over a sandbar?
The Honda was connected to the tiller linkage witha metal plate that altered the angle of the linkage arm to the engine. Were all the telstars like that? It looked a bit jury rigged ...???
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

There really are several joints with at least a little play that adds upo to be quiet a bit. The surprising thing to me is that under sail or under motor, it does not seem to bother much. Even my auto pilot does not seem ot mind. It is only when the boat is standing still or maneuvering in close quarters that I seem to notice it. I keep thinking it needs tightening, but I never seem to get around to it. I suspect it is going to take a lot of tinkering to get it much tighter and then it may bind. Like I s aid, it seems to work better than I thought it would. It is easy to fuss a bit about Mr. Smiths cheap ways of doing things but he built a lot of very enjoyable boats for darn near bargain basement prices. I frankly prefer what he did. They also do not seem to fail in dangerous ways or moments.
Cheers
lefty2
Serendipity II