Replacing outboard engine

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Doncs

Replacing outboard engine

Post by Doncs »

What is the weight limit for the engine mount on the telstar? The Honda50 runs about 210 dry weight will the mount tolerate a 250lb enjoined ?? I am switching out my Honda 20 ; looking at a Yamaha 25 ...there is about 100 lbs difference between the two ... I am concerned if the mount will hold ???!!!
Thanks for your help! :?:
Ron

Re: Replacing outboard engine

Post by Ron »

If you upgrade to a pulley system with more blocks that would help lift the motor. But I'd be just as concerned about the boats trim. With that kind of weight back there, you'd be lowering the stern and port side a drop.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

Thanks Ron, your reply is much appreciated. I have weight concerns as well, yet when I compared it to the weight of the Honda 50 there was only a 10 lb difference. The honda being lighter... Do you think the boat is designed to handle it??
Ron

Post by Ron »

I personally think that a 50hp 220 pound motor is a drop too much for this boat, but others who have one should respond with their experience. I recall that a few of them had to raise the height of the bottom paint because the fiberglass was under water.
Ron Marcuse
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

I agree on the horse power. Today's engines appear to be a bit heavier as this is a 25hp . Emissions controls etc. my honda was aging out and I spent much of last season waiting for parts or sea tow..I can't sail in or out of my slip spot.
Well I will beef up the blocks as you suggest and hope I won't need the bottom paint.
Thanks again
Ron

Post by Ron »

The 3 cylinder Honda 25/30 hp motors look interesting. Same basic motor - they both weigh about 160 pounds. Apparently much less than the Yamaha 25. AND - they are 3 cylinders so they should be quieter and smoother. If I needed more HP and was ready for an upgrade - I'd be taking a long look at these two.

I just looked up the 25 Yamaha. It's a 2 cylinder weighing about 175 pounds. Less than you mentioned, but still heavier than the 30 hp 3 CYLINDER Honda.
Ron Marcuse