20HP Engine Removal

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
wingman71

20HP Engine Removal

Post by wingman71 »

Has anyone removed their outboard? If so, I have a few questions.

My boat is still in the water, so I want to remove the entire unit, including the mounting bracket. The fewer parts that must come off the less chance of a part sinking to the bottom. I have the shop manual, 4th edition, 2002-2010 version.

Basically, it looks easy to remove the 4 bolts holding the engine on the boat and the steering rod, but the problem is how to remove the electrical cables, especially for the power tilt, at the engine. The manual seems to suggest that you have to go into the engine compartment to unplug the tilt power and must remove all the ties on the line along the way.

Is there an alternative?

Can the power cables be removed at the other end?

I can pull my dinghy under it to make the job easier.

John
Ron

Re: 20HP Engine Removal

Post by Ron »

John -

There are some other things which must be dealt with too - including the throttle / shift mechanism and rods, alternator and starter cables, etc. You can probably unhook some of this at the remote unit and then pass the cables through the hull. Remember that it weighs something like 120 pounds and it may be fun trying to control this weight from a dinghy parked underneath.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
drsm

Post by drsm »

Everything can be removed at the motor; the clips that hold the throttle and shift cables will fatigue quickly with attachment/removal, so be careful and don't be surprised if you need to replace them.

Steve
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Well, the outboard has been removed, fixed, and replaced on the boat. Besides changing the fluids, replacing the impeller, and cleaning the carburetor, I did have to replace the throttle cables after 7 years. one had a torn cover with rust showing. As they are hard to replace while on the boat, I went ahead with both. the whole evolution cost just under $700 and the help of two guys to remove and return the heavy motor to the boat. Taking apart and restoring the remote throttle box was the most fun!

We did this with the boat in the water and did not drop any tools or engine parts in the water!

Sorry, no video.

John