Loose/banging rudder at anchor

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
jedrek

Loose/banging rudder at anchor

Post by jedrek »

Wonder if anyone experienced the same thing and if there is a fix?
When I anchor, even in a light roll, my rudder bangs a lot. Seems like both, top and lower parts are making the noise. When I tie the top part with bangie to prevent it from hitting fibreglass, the lower part still moves making excessive noise. The lower part makes noise even with rudder completely down.

Thanks

Andrew
Cathyalan

Re: Loose/banging rudder at anchor

Post by Cathyalan »

Same problem here. I have tried a number of different things...jamming pieces of wood or styrofoam in the linkage, using elaborate bungie configurations, sticking soft floats (pieces of noodles) where ever I could jam them in. It's a pain. I hope someone has a simple (probably obvious) answer.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Gene

Post by Gene »

Mine always did the same thing in any kind of a seaway... tighten down both the downhaul and uphaul... I don't think there's too much else you can do...
Plash Island, AL
USA
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

I was afraid, that something might have been worn out. Little consolation, but good to know, it's not only my boat

Andrew
Gene

Post by Gene »

I think a lot of it is the designed in capability of the rudder to "kick up" upon impact. Not so good though moored/anchored in a seaway... Keep an eye on the lines (rudder uphaul/downhaul) for chafe as well!
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

I was always annoyed at the play in the tiller to rudder linkage along with the vibration that occurs when motoring. The steering reminded me of a 1950's Buick. There's a couple of things you can do to eliminate or quiet it down. First, adjust and/or tighten down all of the linkage components. Then I used a few rubber and/or felt washers to keep things tighter on the hinge pins. Example below. You can see a rubber washer under the steel one. The photo also shows the dyneema cordage, which will NOT stretch, on the lower rudder control lines. This won't eliminate the problems, but it will help. It should also help to reduce some of the movement while anchored that you described below.
Attachments
P1110008.JPG
P1110008.JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

I have this problem and finally solved. It by taking a shim or two and tapping them into the gap between the rudder and fiberglass. Then, when we head out for sailing, remove them.
Cathyalan

Post by Cathyalan »

Please elaborate...with a picture if possible.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
dcarl

Post by dcarl »

I use a shock cord at anchor, use it to pull the line at the top of the rudder tight, makes for a quite night.
drsm

Post by drsm »

We use one of those black rubber tie-down shock cords from the top of the rudder to the stanchion, then tie the tiller off. That quiets it completely. We keep Buen Tiempo on a mooring, so we've learned to tie everything down for peace (and to reduce wear).