T 28 Hinge drawing or description

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Chris375

T 28 Hinge drawing or description

Post by Chris375 »

I posted this on "Site Talk" and should have posted it here:

I have a Telstar 26 from around 1974. I have owned it for maybe 20 years and it has been great. I had my mooring on Block Island and this was the perfect boat to have for my small family. My children have grown up and I distractedly had the boat on inadequate supports during a big snowstorm a few years ago. I could just tow it away, but I really like a lot of the innovations and comfort of sailing. What I don't like is the set up and take down. Now that I have serious damage to the amas, I want to look at the possibility of retro fitting and double acting hinge like the T 28. I am not that concerned about lots of accomodation. I just would like a boat that I could launch and then expand on the water.
It looks like the hinge for the 26 would not have to be as long in the folding part as the beam is smaller. I am thinking a sweep of 19.5 inches. That seems like it may be doable. I have looked at all the information on the T 28 hinge I can find, but still have not seen even a simple drawing. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris Salmon
Antrim, NH, USAChris375

Chris375

Re: T 28 Hinge drawing or description

Post by Chris375 »

I have been moving along with this idea of cutting up an old T26 to accomodate a double box hinge for the amas that is similar to the T28. It looks like it will be drastic, but may work. What I don't have is working drawings of the T28 hinges. I don't need engineer's drawings, as the specs will be different. What I do need is a simple drawing with rough dimensions and a description of materials used. Does anyone have a T28 that could take a look at the hinges and hinge mounts and send me some information about them? Thanks. The boat I have originally had a jet-pump auxilliary. I am working on re-installing a Bombardier jet drive as they are much more reliable than in 1974. Still it is the hinge I want some info on.