Broken Rudder

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
simonhayes

Re: Broken Rudder

Post by simonhayes »

Thanks very much Ron - that helps. I am pretty sure your and my rudder were the same as # are close. I was actually the first one with the longer centerboard - I know because I broke 2 of them before they made them stronger for later models :-)

I will see who in the bay area might be able to make me a rudder... I might be back for more info when I do.

thanks

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Since my boat is out of the water I had a chance to go down and take some measurements of my rudder. Mine is an earlier boat #311. I have attached a Word document that has a diagram but is not drawn to scale. I hope this helps.

Gary G.
Attachments
Rudder Dimensions CatNip 311.docx
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Gary - this is perfect .

Thanks very much

- Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

I have a new ( to me) 06 model. It is on the hard. I could easily put a piece of wrapping paper against it and draw an outline if that were a help.
would not cost a great deal to mail. Perhaps I could shoot a few pictures and email them to anyone who needed them.

Let me know

lefty2
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

I hope it helps but if you need anything else 9more dimensions, pictures and etc.) let me know.

Gary G.
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Gary and Lefty - thanks again for the offers. I will let you know what I need as we get through this process.

I finally was able to haul Halcyon today and discovered that I did indeed have the metal "skeleton" of the rudder left, albeit someone bent. Since i didn't hit anything - it must of bent as the rudder delaminated and sheered off. Here are a few pics for your edification...

I am working with a boat yard to buid/rebuild a new one and will let you know how I get on

Untitled by Simon Hayes, on Flickr

Thanks

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Gene

Post by Gene »

I'm glad to see you have.... something to work with... btw- did Tony provide all of your replacement cb's?
Plash Island, AL
USA
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Yes - got my first quote to rebuild the rudder - $3500 !! :shock: Trying to get more quotes , but not having a mold makes it very labor intensive..

I got my replacement CBs from PCI while they were still around.

-Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Simon,

When I had CLC build me a new centerboard, they said putting fiberglass and gelcoat on the CB would double the cost. Maybe they could make you a wood one and coat it with epoxy as they did the CB, thus saving you some money!

John
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

Well I am having a rudder issue as well. Did Simon get his repaired or rebuilt yet...I am pulling the boat this weekend so if needed I can send pics and measurements . I am hull 309. ]