Broken Rudder

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
simonhayes

Broken Rudder

Post by simonhayes »

Hi Folks,

I was out sailing the bay in the usual spring high winds ( 25-35 ) yesterday when the rudder broke off. As you can imagine, that was a pretty challenging situation but I am happy o report that the Telstar 28s can successfully if slightly awkwardly be steered with a motor so was able to get back to the dock.

So - now I am looking for a replacement rudder. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get one or get hold of design for the current rudder so I can get a replacement built ? The manual isn't too helpful on that score. Does anyone have Tony's contact info ?

Thanks

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
wooden

Re: Broken Rudder

Post by wooden »

Simon,

You might want to try and contact the folks that are building the new centerboards for us. Great to work with and very interested in helping as much as they can. Here is the contact info:

David Fawley
Vice President for Development
Chesapeake Light Craft
(410) 267-0137 x15
shop@clcboats.com
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Thanks - I will try and call them. I suspect they will need some help with the design of the rudder to be able to build a new one. Anyone who might have info on this - I would be greatly obliged if they could contact me.

- Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Gene

Post by Gene »

Simon-
I believe they have contact with Tony direct...
Plash Island, AL
USA
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

I just talked to Tony and he has no plans for the rudder as it was made in a mold. He said that your best bet would be to get someone local to make you a foil that fit on the shaft. How much is left of your rudder?

BTW, I tried to upload my lessons learned for the centerboard install, but it will not take docx, rtf, or pdf files. What will upload?

John
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

John,

Thanks for the update and for being in touch with Tony. Unfortunately, there is basically nothing left of the rudder - it broke off at the metal bracket at the top. The shaft itself is gone as well so that may make getting a replacement more difficult.

Can anyone who has their T28 out of the water measure the rudder foil for me so I can start to ask around .

Thanks again,

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Gene

Post by Gene »

Mine's in the water now, but I'll try to haul it in the next week if you don't hear from anyone sooner...
Plash Island, AL
USA
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Thanks Gene. No need to haul her just for my benefit but if you are planning to get her out of the water anyway - it would be good to get those measurements
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Ron

Post by Ron »

Simon -

Thinking it may help, I've attached a photo of my rudder (hull 359). The boat's on a lift and the rudder is about 8 feet from the dock. Can't reach it easily, and I can't walk on water. If no one else can get you the exact length and width, I'll figure out a way to do it. By the way, the rudders may not be the same on all of the boats. My center board is about 9 inches longer than the earlier boats. Tony may have played with the rudder as well.
Attachments
P4220625.JPG
P4220625.JPG (250.97 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

Simon -

I measured what I could - the rudder is 40 inches long at the aft end, and 19 inches wide at the top. I can't get to the other surfaces or edges without getting wet.

I'd get at least one other owner to measure his, the earlier boats might not be the same. My hull number is 359, and is probably the first one with the longer centerboard.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"