Centerboard integrety

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
wooden

Centerboard integrety

Post by wooden »

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was out sailing in some in some pretty bad conditions. There were small craft advisories in the Atlantic and the winds were 20-25 knots, seas were 4-6 feet. I was having a wonderful time and suddenly the boat became difficult to keep on course. I had the rudder pushed fully to starboard to keep the desired track. The fun trip became less desirable. I was 5 miles out, and when I finally was able to find a quieter spot near shore I could tell the bulk of the centerboard had departed the boat. Now I know why the boat became suddenly difficult to manage.

As I read posts from others, I found this issue not to be unusual. The good news was that the boat handled the conditions very well, with and without a centerboard. The bad new is that the integrity of the stock centerboard seems to be questionable at best. I did notice that there was some boatshop (I believe in Alabama) that is offering to build a better centerboard. Has anyone had them do one and has some experience to share, or does anyone have any other options.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Re: Centerboard integrety

Post by Gene »

Suggest you check posts...
contact info:
David Fawley
Vice President for Development

Chesapeake Light Craft

(410) 267-0137 x15

shop@clcboats.com
Plash Island, AL
USA
wooden

Post by wooden »

I did get a nice email from CLC and some pictures of a very nice fabricated centerboard they built, I suspect for Gene.

They asked which size board I needed. Does anyone have a definitive answer for the question of what size centerboard I would have on Hull #340. I really don't want to take the boat out of the water until I am ready to install a new centerboard unless I really have to. Thanks for any help that can be provided to answer this question.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Post by Gene »

Wooden- there's an active posting about the centerboard already.... CHECK THE FORUM!!!
Plash Island, AL
USA