Centerboard hoist

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Mark G

Centerboard hoist

Post by Mark G »

I had difficulty moving the centerboard. I just found out from my repair man that the strap eye with the bolts intact had pulled out of the centerboard causing the rope to be all knotted up.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed without removing the centerboard? In other words, when the centerboard is raised or lowered is there sufficient access to make a reliable repair?
Does anyone know if the centerboard can likely be fixed or if I will have to order a new one? I assume I can get one from Performance Cruising.
vancouver

Centerboard hoist

Post by vancouver »

Here is a video posted by Performance Cruising on replacing the centerboard. I don't believe you can access any of the components without removing the board.

Performance Cruising is no longer making T2s and I am not sure about parts availability from them.

http://vimeo.com/4875979
Graham

Centerboard hoist

Post by Graham »

Centerboard must be removed to affect any repairs. PCI does not handle Telstar parts. Why do you need a new centerboard? Is it rotted? If not repair the old one.
Mark G

Centerboard hoist

Post by Mark G »

Finally got the boat up and the board out. The wood around the strap on the back of the centerboard rotted. We plan to cut cut out the bad wood and insert a patch which we will then glass in. we will taper the good wood back so the overall thickness of the board will be held. I cannot figure out why the wood in this area rotted while the leading edge which is almost always in the water didn't.
Mark G

Centerboard hoist

Post by Mark G »

I tried to post pictures, but I get a message that the board attachment quota has been reached.
Ron

Centerboard hoist

Post by Ron »

"I tried to post pictures, but I get a message that the board attachment quota has been reached."

Until Dan increases the storage area, you'll have to use one of the picture storage services, like PhotoBucket. They're free. Dan has been aware of this for a year or two now.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark G

Centerboard hoist

Post by Mark G »

Not a problem. If anyone wants to see the photos, message me and I'll be glad to send them.