Centerboard not tightening properly

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
drsm

Post by drsm »

Well, Buen Tiempo got launched today, and all went well except the centerboard doesn't tighten/loosen like it used to. I had the bottom painted this winter, and although they didn't remove the CB, they might have overtightened the nut. In any case, it used to turn about 1-1/2 times when loosening or tightening the nut. Now it barely makes a 1/2 turn, and doesn't seem to either completely loosen or tighten. The CB is still functional, in that I can raise and lower it, but it doesn't seem to lock down well, and I am concerned it may pop up under sail. It stayed down while motoring to the mooring today, but I wasn't going very fast.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas on what to do? We tried heating the nut with a torch, thinking it was just stuck, but didn't get anywhere.

Thanks,

Steve
drsm

Post by drsm »

Thanks for your reply. In your case, did the nut only loosen and tighten about a 1/2 turn? While I think I understand your description of what you did, I can't figure out why the nut now only moves so little.

I did have the boat out under sail this weekend. The centerboard stayed down up to 10.8 knots and in 2 foot chop, so I'm encouraged about that, but it still doesn't seem to work properly, and I'm convinced I won't be able to lock the board in the up position when it is hauled out.

Thanks,
Steve M